What equations are needed for calculating Keplerian orbital mechanics?

In summary, Kepler's laws are only approximately correct and are improved upon by Newton's laws and general relativity.
Philosophaie
I have some data about the elliptical orbits of the planets. I have a,e,i,ML,LP,N @ for a specific Julian Century, J2000. I need an equation check:

w = LP - N
EA = MA + e * sin(MA) * (1 + e * cos(MA))
x = a * (cos(EA) - e)
y = a * sin(EA) * (1 - e^2)^0.5
r = (x^2 + y^2)^0.5
v = atan2(y , x)

where

a - Semi-Major Axis
e - Eccentricity
i - Inclination
ML - Mean Anomaly
LP - Longitude of the Perihelion
N - Longitude of the Ascending Node
w - Argument of the Perihelion
EA -= Eccentric Anomaly
r - Radius of the Sun to the Planet
v - True Anomaly

Astronomy news on Phys.org
All of these equations are correct except for the expression for eccentric anomaly. Kepler's equation is

[tex]M=E-e\sin E[/tex]

The inverse function, [itex]E=f(M)[/itex], does not have a solution in the elementary functions. Newton's method works quite well for small eccentricities. All of the planets have small eccentricities.

Note well: The planets do not follow Keplerian orbits. Kepler's laws are approximately correct. They are not exact.

Is there a solar system elliptical orbital program that incorporates all the above terminology into one computer program that gives the correct orientation of the angles not just the correct placement of the planets and moons? Maybe on a main frame?

One more time: Kepler's laws are only approximately correct. Newton's laws provide a better description of what is going on. General relativity is even better.

If you want an accurate picture of how the planets move over time you will not use Kepler's laws.

I do not disagree, but in an effort to clarify . . .

It is my understanding that the only reason Kepler's laws do not produce exact results is due to the presence of other bodies and the perturbations they cause. IOW a solar system with one planet and nothing else would be perfectly predictable. (Also ignoring solar wind and the "pressure" caused by solar radiation.)

Certainly the perturbation effects are quite significant . . .

spacester said:
I do not disagree, but in an effort to clarify . . .

It is my understanding that the only reason Kepler's laws do not produce exact results is due to the presence of other bodies and the perturbations they cause. IOW a solar system with one planet and nothing else would be perfectly predictable. (Also ignoring solar wind and the "pressure" caused by solar radiation.)

Certainly the perturbation effects are quite significant . . .
Kepler's laws implicitly assume the planets have negligible mass compared to that of the Sun. While this is a reasonably good assumption for the inner planets, it is not all that reasonable for the gas giants.

Those perturbations are very significant, especially over the long haul. The solar system is a chaotic system.

Finally, don't forget about general relativity. One of the reasons it was accepted fairly quickly was because it solved a known problem with Newtonian mechanics, Mercury's anomalistic precession.

Don't forget, Einstein corrected kepler's law when he solved the orbit of mercury, which had been a mystery for many years - as D H noted. I don't see an issue here.

Newton corrected Kepler's laws, too. Kepler's first two laws are approximations that ignore the perturbations of other planets. Kepler's third law, [tex]P^2 \propto a^3[/itex] is an approximation that ignores the mass of the orbiting body.

What is Keplerian orbital mechanics?

Keplerian orbital mechanics is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of objects in orbit around a central body, such as a planet or star. It is based on Johannes Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which state that planets follow elliptical orbits around the sun with a constant rate of change of area swept out by a line connecting the planet to the sun.

What is the difference between Keplerian and Newtonian orbital mechanics?

The main difference between Keplerian and Newtonian orbital mechanics is that Keplerian assumes point masses and circular orbits, while Newtonian takes into account the masses and shapes of objects in orbit. Newtonian mechanics also includes the effects of gravity from multiple bodies, while Keplerian only considers the motion around a single central body. However, Keplerian mechanics can still be useful for approximating the motion of objects in the solar system.

What factors affect the orbital period of an object?

The orbital period of an object is determined by its distance from the central body and its speed. The closer an object is to the central body, the shorter its orbital period will be. Conversely, the farther an object is, the longer its orbital period will be. Additionally, the mass of the central body also affects the orbital period, with more massive bodies having longer orbital periods.

Can Keplerian orbital mechanics be applied to objects outside of the solar system?

Yes, Keplerian orbital mechanics can be applied to objects outside of the solar system. However, it may not be as accurate since it is based on Kepler's laws, which were derived from observations of the planets in our solar system. In cases where the mass or shape of the central body is unknown, Newtonian mechanics may be a better approach.

How is Keplerian orbital mechanics used in space exploration?

Keplerian orbital mechanics is used in space exploration to plan and execute spacecraft trajectories. By understanding the laws of motion and the effects of gravity, scientists can predict the motion of spacecraft and plan maneuvers to reach specific destinations. It is also used to study the orbits of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond.