Designing a Keplerian Telescope with 7X Magnification & 5mm Exit Pupil

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, a Keplerian Telescope works by using a convex lens as the objective lens and a concave lens as the eyepiece to create an inverted and magnified image of distant objects. 7X magnification means that the image seen through the eyepiece will appear 7 times larger than its actual size, making it suitable for viewing celestial objects. The exit pupil of the telescope is calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification, and in this case, it would be 5mm. This telescope can be used for both terrestrial and celestial viewing, but the image may appear upside down for terrestrial objects. To improve its image quality, higher quality lenses with better coatings and proper alignment and cleaning of the lenses
UrbanXrisis
i am to design a keplerian telescope with 7X magnification, 5mm exit pupil, and at least 10mm eye relief.

I have one lens with focal length 35mm, another with focal length 5mm, giving a visual mag of 7X and the exit puiple is 5mm, but how do I account for the 10mm eye relief?

Physics news on Phys.org
basically, the thing I don't understand is how do I calcuate eye relief for an afocal system?

1. How does a Keplerian Telescope work?

A Keplerian Telescope uses a convex lens as the objective lens to gather light from distant objects and a concave lens as the eyepiece to magnify the image formed by the objective lens. This combination of lenses creates an inverted and magnified image of the object being viewed.

2. What is the significance of 7X magnification?

7X magnification means that the image seen through the eyepiece will appear 7 times larger than its actual size. This level of magnification is often suitable for viewing celestial objects such as planets and stars.

3. How is the 5mm exit pupil calculated?

The exit pupil of a telescope is calculated by dividing the diameter of the objective lens by the magnification. In this case, the exit pupil would be 5mm because the objective lens has a diameter of 35mm and the magnification is 7X (35/7=5).

4. Can this telescope be used for both terrestrial and celestial viewing?

Yes, this telescope can be used for both terrestrial and celestial viewing. However, the image may appear upside down when viewing terrestrial objects due to the inverted image formation in a Keplerian Telescope.

5. How can I improve the image quality of this telescope?

To improve the image quality of this telescope, you can use higher quality lenses with better coatings to reduce glare and increase contrast. You can also ensure that the lenses are properly aligned and clean to avoid any distortions in the image.