1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's 2nd law and potential energy relation

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves under the influence of a central potential V(r). Show that Kepler's second law, that the radius vector from the force centre to the particle sweeps out area at a constant rate, is true whatever the form of V, as long as it is central. Derive the law in the form
    dA/dT = 0.5 r^2 (theta)

Where (r,theta) are polar coordinates in the orbital plane with origin at the force centre. There is meant to be a dot above theta!!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

All i have at the moment (after trawling the net, and searching in books) is a statement and a derivation for the above equation given. But i don't know how to link it to the potential energy.

I get the equation given as equal to L/2m and the fact that it is a constant. The statement i have is:

It is true no matter what the forms of the force and potential energy functions are because it is entirely a result of the conservation of angular momentum.

Any thoughts on how to include the potential energy in a more quantitative way??

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted