Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of a distant planet using the orbit of a space probe and the wavelength of its radio signal. After discussing different equations, the person realizes that they do not have enough information to accurately solve the problem and suggest further research on the Doppler effect.
dekoi
Question:

Imagine a space probe has been placed in a circular orbit about a distant planet. The probe emits a continuous radio signal with a wavelength of 8 m. You measure the signal from earth, and find it to have a wavelength that varies regularly between 7.99943 m and 8.00057 m, with a period of 4.5 hours. Assuming that you are in the plane of the probe's orbit, and that you are not moving, calculate the mass of the planet.

This is what I have done...

By substituting into different equations, I end up with the equation:
a = λ / 2pi

Using Kepler's 3rd Law:

P^2 = a^3 / mt

I end up with :

mt= (λ / 2pi)^3(1 / P)^2

However, I do not know why I am given 3 different values for wavelength, should this be applied into the answer or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
By substituting into different equations, I end up with the equation:
a = λ / 2pi

You got that the semimajor axis of the orbit was comparable to the wavelength of the radiation? I'd like to see which equations you used to get that result. The only radiation for which that would be true is the gravitational variety.

Try instead using:

[tex]\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda}=\frac{v}{c}[/tex]

and

[tex]v_c=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{a}}[/tex]

I just did what my teaching assistant told me to do. I don't think it's correct either.

I'm assuming that "c" is the speed of light.

What is the M? Mass of the planet?

And what can I do with that equation for v?

dekoi said:
I'm assuming that "c" is the speed of light.

What is the M? Mass of the planet?

Sorry, I forgot to define my variables: M is the planet's mass, v is the velocity relative to your line of sight, vc is the circular velocity of the orbit, [itex]\Delta \lambda[/itex] is the shift in wavelength relative to its rest frame value, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the rest frame value of the wavelength, c is the speed of light, a is the semimajor axis, and G is the gravitational constant.

We haven't learned that much information in order to use those equations. The most we have learned is Kepler's 3rd Law and the Gravitational force equation.

F=GMm/ R^2

dekoi said:
We haven't learned that much information in order to use those equations. The most we have learned is Kepler's 3rd Law and the Gravitational force equation.

F=GMm/ R^2

The second equation follows simply from Kepler's Third Law, but you do have to know the first one in order to do the problem. I suggest a google (or PF) search on the doppler effect.

Okay, thank you anyway.

What is Kepler's 3rd Law?

Kepler's 3rd Law, also known as the Harmonic Law, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In simpler terms, this means that the farther a planet is from its parent star, the longer it takes to orbit around it.

How is Kepler's 3rd Law related to the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where there is a change in the frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and the observer. In the context of Kepler's 3rd Law, the Doppler Effect can be used to measure the radial velocity of a planet orbiting around a star. This allows us to calculate the planet's orbital period, which is a crucial component of Kepler's 3rd Law.

What is the significance of Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect?

Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect are fundamental principles in understanding the motion and behavior of planets in our solar system and beyond. They are essential in determining the characteristics of exoplanets and their orbits, as well as in detecting and studying celestial objects such as binary stars and pulsars.

Can Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect be applied to all types of celestial bodies?

Yes, Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect can be applied to any object that follows an elliptical orbit around a central body. This includes planets, moons, asteroids, and even artificial satellites. However, the accuracy of the calculations may vary depending on the size and distance of the objects involved.

Are there any limitations to using Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect in studying celestial bodies?

While Kepler's 3rd Law and the Doppler Effect are powerful tools in studying celestial bodies, there are some limitations to their applications. For example, the Doppler Effect can only measure the radial velocity of a planet, which may not accurately represent its true orbital velocity. Additionally, the laws assume that the orbits are perfectly elliptical, which may not always be the case in reality.