1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's 3rd law relationship

1. Jul 31, 2005 #1
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me with this.

With a plot of log(T) against log(a) where 'T' is the period of satellite and 'a' the distance, I'm not sure what the y-intercept represents, something to do with the constant (4pi^2/GMm) I think, but not sure, any ideas?

Also, the y-intercept for me was -6.5, mean anything?

Thanks in advance

Nb, M>>m and M=ME :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given a and T as average radius and orbit, Kepler's third law says that T2 is proportional to a3. That is, T2= Ka3.

If your graph of log(T) against log(a) is a straight line, then y= mx+ b or
    log(T)= m log(a)+ b= log(am)+ b so that T= eb am.
    The most important you should be able to derive from that is that your slope, m, should be, approximately, 3/2.

If you are really interested in what that "K" is, here is what I just did:

Since elliptic orbits are a nuisance, let's approximate by a circular orbit: imagine a satellite of mass m orbiting a body of mass M, in a circular orbit of radius R with angular velocity ω. Taking the center of the orbit as the origin of coordinate system, we can write the position vector as x= <R cos(ω t), R sin(ω t)>.
    Differentiating gives the speed vector: v= x'= <-Rω sin(ω t), Rω cos(ωt)>.
    Differentiating again gives the acceleration vector a= v'= <-Rω2 cos(ωt), -Rω2 sin(ω t) .
    That is, the scalar value for acceleration is Rω2.
    Since the force of gravity is [tex]\frac{-GmM}{R^2}[/tex] and F= ma
    we must have [tex]a= R\omega^2= \frac{GM}{R^2}[/tex] or
    [tex]\omega^2= \frac{GM}{R^3}[/tex].

Since sine and cosine both have period [tex]2\pi[/tex], if T is the period of the orbit, [tex]\omega T= 2\pi[/tex] so [tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex] and [tex]\omega^2= \frac{GM}{R^3}[/tex] becomes [tex]\frac{T^2}{4\pi^2}= \frac{R^3}{GM}[/tex]. That is the "K" in T2= Ka3 is [tex]\frac{4\pi^2}{GM}[/tex]. Since you graphed log(T) against log(a), your y-intercept is 1/2 the logarithm of that:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}log(\frac{4\pi^2}{GM})[/tex]!

(What I did here, really, was use Newton's gravity formula to derive Kepler's third law. Newton did it the other way around: used Kepler's third law to derive the formula for gravity. Of course, he had to develop calculus in order to be able to do that!)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  4. Aug 1, 2005 #3
    Thanks HallsofIvy! It makes complete sense now, your derivation of kepler 3 really helps. Yeh, I got the slope as 3/2 so I knew I was doing something right :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?