Solve Kepler's 3rd Law Homework: Satellite Circular Orbit Density

• Thread starter Reverie29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the satellite is in a circular orbit with a period of 2.49 hours. The planet has a uniform density and the satellite's density is 3M / 4(pi)r^3. Volume of a sphere is = 3M / 4(pi)r^3.
Reverie29

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit very close to the surface of a spherical planet. The period of the orbit is 2.49 hours.
What is density of the planet? Assume that the planet has a uniform density.

Homework Equations

T^2 = (4(pi)^2*r^3) / GM

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I converted the period into seconds and got 8964 seconds.
Then I rearranged the equation to get
M/r^3 = 4(pi)^2 / GT^2, assuming that M/r^3 would get me density.
So then according to that Density = 4(pi)^2 / (6.67e-11 N*m^2/kg^2)(8964 s)^2 which gives 7366 kg/m^3 which is not correct.

Or am I missing something about density? Density is mass divided by area. Should I be finding a radius to find the area and then find the mass somehow... I don't know. I'm confused on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\rho = \frac{M}{V}[/tex]

Assuming the planet is a perfect sphere, [itex]V=\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/itex]

So

[tex] \rho = \frac{M}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3} = \frac{3M}{4\pi r^3}[/tex]

Your problem is in assuming that M/r^2 gives you density.

Density is mass divided by volume. So what is the formula for the volume of a sphere?

Okay.
The density of a sphere is = 3M / 4(pi)r^3. And I have already solved for M/r^3. I tried multiplying by 3 and dividing by 4pi, but still got an incorrect answer. I got 17,356 kg/m^3.

Should I be looking at another equation?

3/(4pi)<1. Why did your answer increase?

[tex]T^2=\frac{4\pi r^3}{GM}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T^2}=\frac{GM}{4\pi r^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T^2}=\frac{G}{3} \frac{3M}{4\pi r^3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T^2}=\frac{G}{3} \rho[/tex]

and then you got [itex]\rho [/itex] to be that value? If so and you calculated correctly...that should be the answer.

I have no idea why it increased! I guess I must be calculator retarded. I've got it now, thanks!

1. What is Kepler's 3rd Law?

Kepler's 3rd Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In simpler terms, it describes the relationship between the time it takes for a planet to orbit the sun and its distance from the sun.

2. How does Kepler's 3rd Law apply to satellite circular orbits?

Kepler's 3rd Law can be applied to satellite circular orbits by using the same formula as for planets, but with the satellite's orbital period and distance from the center of the Earth instead of the sun. This law helps us understand the relationship between the orbital period and the altitude of a satellite in a circular orbit around a planet.

3. What is the formula for solving Kepler's 3rd Law for satellite circular orbits?

The formula for solving Kepler's 3rd Law for satellite circular orbits is T^2 = (4π^2/GM) * r^3, where T is the orbital period, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the center of the planet and the satellite.

4. How can we use Kepler's 3rd Law to determine the density of a planet or satellite?

By rearranging the formula for Kepler's 3rd Law, we can also solve for the mass of the planet or satellite. By knowing the mass and volume of the object, we can then calculate its density. This can be useful in understanding the composition and structure of different celestial bodies.

5. What other applications does Kepler's 3rd Law have in science?

Kepler's 3rd Law has many applications in science, including in the study of planetary motion, orbital dynamics, and the search for exoplanets. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in our solar system and beyond, and can be used to make predictions about the motion and behavior of celestial bodies.