Keplers Equation: Finding Eccentric Anomaly E

• Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to find the eccentric anomaly E of an orbit of a binary system, but is hindered by the time-consuming Newton-Raphson method. Another way to find E is to use the Newton-Raphson method, but an initial guess of E0=M is not enough. If timing is still a problem, the author returns sin(E) and cos(E) as well as E.
NoobixCube
Hi all,
I am trying to find the eccentric anomaly E of an orbit of a binary system knowing the mean anomaly M through Newtons solution:
E=M+e*sin(E)
where an iterative solution can be found.
I am using this to fit radial velocity data vs. time. But calculating E is hindering my progress (getting a good fit to data and length of time taken to calculate E). Is there another way to find E other than Newtons method?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Newton-Raphson method for solving the reverse Kepler equation converges very quickly with a good initial guess; five steps even for very large (0.99) eccentricities. Some questions:
  • Are you sure you have implemented it correctly?

• Are you truncating M to some 2*pi range? (0 to 2*pi is OK, -pi to pi is better).

• What is your initial guess? A constant value (e.g., zero) may not even converge. An initial guess of [itex]E_0=M[/tex] is OK, but you can do much better. For example, [itex]E_0=M+e\sin M[/tex]. You can do even better, but this is simple and very good.

• If timing is still a problem, return sin(E) and cos(E) as well as E. These are needed to calculate the solution to Kepler's equation and are needed to calculate the radial velocities. Use the returned values instead of calling sin and cos.

I am using Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm to fit 5 orbital parameters of a binary exoplanet system. So the algorithm alters the period P and the time of periastron T when deducing a fit . I would have to think of how to implement a check when the program is altering those two parameters. let me know of any changes you may think would be wise for finding E.

This is my code, hope this helps.

E0=0;
E=M;
while(abs(E-E0)>1.0e-6)

E0=E;
E= M + e*sin(E);%guess I should change this to : E=E+e*sin(E)
end
f=E;

Question number 1: Are you implementing it correctly? The answer is no. That algorithm is not using Newton-Raphson method. In general, the Newton-Raphson iterator for finding a zero of some function f(x) is

[tex]x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}[/tex]

You want to find the zero of [itex]f(E) = E-e\sin E - M[/itex] given some mean anomaly M. The Newton-Raphson iterator for the reverse Kepler problem is

[tex]E_{n+1} = E_n - \frac{E_n-e\sin E_n - M}{1-e\cos E_n}[/tex]

Your algorithm is incredibly slow to converge. A Newton-Raphson iterator tends to be much, much faster. Then key problem with any Newton-Raphson iterator is that it can shoot off to never-never land. This can happen here with large eccentricities (nearly 1) and small values of M. A little protection will stop that from happening.

Thanks for the info D H. I have been reading up now on the Newton-Raphson method, and the methodology is beginning to make a bit more sense. My initial attempt is very wayward.

Last edited:
I have implemented my new code D H. The run time is far superior than it was before

D H said:
A Newton-Raphson iterator tends to be much, much faster. Then key problem with any Newton-Raphson iterator is that it can shoot off to never-never land. This can happen here with large eccentricities (nearly 1) and small values of M. A little protection will stop that from happening.
Could you be a little more open about these protection issues D H ?

In this case, its pretty simple. The eccentric and mean anomalies are equal at 0 and pi. If, for example, the mean anomaly is between 0 and pi, an iteration that sends the eccentric anomaly outside [noparse][0,pi]/noparse] is wrong. Similarly, for a mean anomaly between -pi and 0 the eccentric anomaly must lie in [noparse][-pi,0]/noparse]. A step that goes outside the bounds or too many steps means something is wrong; you should revert to something that converges less quickly but is more stable, such as the secant method.

I decided to check out the secant method you suggested since run time is not an issue at the
moment. But my problem now lies in how to choose my starting points for the secant method. i.e. what should En and En-1 start at? Could you maybe point me towards a text etc?

I have just read that E0 and E1 the initial starting points have to be sufficiently close to the root for the secant method to converge. But given my function f(E) how do ensure that generally with varying sets of data (namely differing time domains and orbital periods P)?

NoobixCube said:
I have just read that E0 and E1 the initial starting points have to be sufficiently close to the root for the secant method to converge. But given my function f(E) how do ensure that generally with varying sets of data (namely differing time domains and orbital periods P)?
Got it sorted.
I Set:
E0=M
E1=M+e*sin(M)

Hopefully this holds for varing P and t :yuck:

I tend to use Newton's method. Problems arise only for very large eccentricities (~0.9 or greater) and bad initial guesses.

D H said:
I tend to use Newton's method. Problems arise only for very large eccentricities (~0.9 or greater) and bad initial guesses.

Do you use it over the Secant method because of the run time involved?

The secant method isn't guaranteed to converge, either. If you want something that converges you need use something real slow, like bisection. To find a root of some function, you start by finding a pair of points whose function values have opposite sign. Once you have found such a pair, evaluate the function at the midpoint. Throw out the point whose function value is of the same sign as this new function value. Repeat. Each step cuts the error by half. This is called linear convergence. It will take fifteen or so iterations with a function like Kepler's equation to find a root.

There is an online calculator here too:

http://www.akiti.ca/KeplerSolver.html"

I think it uses a combination of bisection and secant method and usually converges to a solution in about 7 or 8 iterations.

Making a good initial guess helps it converge fast too. For example, we know a solution exists between M and (M + e). If e is small, the search interval is pretty small to begin with. In addition, the starting interval is cut again before the iteration process begins.

If you wanted to be really meticulous about the speed of program execution, I suppose you might want to consider Pade approximations or making tables.

Last edited by a moderator:
DuncanM said:
There is an online calculator here too:

http://www.akiti.ca/KeplerSolver.html"
I have many data points so to use an online calculator would be impractical...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used the 'fzero' function in matlab?

Yes, but why bother? It is built to find the zero of any function. As a general purpose zero-finder it will be much slower than any reasonable special purpose function you can write to solve a function a very well-behaved function such as Kepler's equation.

What level are you in in school?

MSc, at the moment. Thanks for the info

1. What is Kepler's equation?

Kepler's equation is a mathematical formula developed by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century to describe the motion of planets in elliptical orbits around the sun. It relates the eccentric anomaly (E) of a planet to its mean anomaly (M) and the eccentricity (e) of its orbit.

2. How is Kepler's equation used to find eccentric anomaly E?

To find the eccentric anomaly E, Kepler's equation can be solved using numerical methods or by using a series expansion. The resulting value of E can then be used to calculate the true anomaly, which represents the actual position of the planet along its orbit.

3. What is the significance of eccentric anomaly E in planetary motion?

Eccentric anomaly E is a key parameter in describing the position of a planet in its elliptical orbit. It is used to calculate the true anomaly, which determines the position of the planet at any given time. This information is essential for predicting the movement of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.

4. How is eccentric anomaly E related to the eccentricity of an orbit?

Eccentric anomaly E and eccentricity (e) are directly related, as E is a function of e in Kepler's equation. The eccentricity of an orbit describes how elongated or flattened the orbit is, with a value of 0 representing a perfect circle and a value of 1 representing a parabolic orbit. As eccentricity increases, the eccentric anomaly also increases.

5. Is Kepler's equation still used today?

Yes, Kepler's equation is still widely used in modern astronomy and astrodynamics to calculate the positions of planets and other objects in our solar system. It has also been extended to describe the motion of objects in other orbital systems, such as binary star systems. However, in some cases, more complex equations or numerical methods may be used for more accurate predictions of planetary motion.