Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's First Law Mathematical Query

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Hello all! It's been a long summer, and I thought I'd warm up things by going over Kepler's Laws.

I've been following the mathematical derivation in Introduction to Modern Astrophysics, and to be honest I am little stumped on a part of it:

We have the derived definition of angular momentum as

[tex]\vec{L} = \mu r^{2}\hat{r}\times\frac{d}{dt}\hat{r} [/tex]

Then what happens is out of the blue, it seems, the author takes the cross product of the acceleration vector and angular momentum:

[tex]\vec{a}\times\vec{L} = -\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\hat{r}\times \left(\mu r^{2}\hat{r}\times\frac{d}{dt}\hat{r} \right)[/tex]

Ugh, to be honest I am stumped at the physical significance of that cross product. I can understand that the result is a [tex]\vec{v}\times\vec{L}[/tex] expression, but it just seems to have come out of nowhere and I don't know (physically) why we go through that process

For reference it is on page 44 of the red paperback (second) edition. It is under Chapter 2: Celestial Mechanics.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted