1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keplers law

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    what is it exactly?

and in my book they had an equation

F = (4)(pi)^2(m)(r)/T^2

then they said by using keplers law... they arrived to a new equation that relates the gravitational force exerted by the sun which is...
    F = m/r^2

If Keplers law says T = r^3/2 how in the heck did they go from F = (4)(pi)^2(m)(r)/T^2
    to F = m/r^2 by substituting T for r?????
    Where did (4)(pi)^2(r) go ????????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It would appear that they started with the centripetal force:
    [tex] F = m\frac{v^2}{r}~~~~~\text{where:}~~~~v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T}[/tex]
    [tex] F = \frac{4 \pi^2 m r}{T^2}[/tex]
    Now, Kepler's Third Law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. For a circular orbit we identify the semi-major axis with the orbital radius. Note that the law as stated does not give us the constant of proportionality, so we write: [itex] r^3 \propto T^2[/itex]. So we can replace the T2 in the force equation with r3 but without a precise constant of proportionality it doesn't make sense to retain the others, so that:
    [tex] F \propto \frac{4 \pi^2 m r}{r^3} \propto \frac{m}{r^2}[/tex]

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

For different planets, Kepler's third Law says (R^3)/(T^2) = constant
    and equals unity when using units of years and astronomical units (A.U.).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    Ok so I see that I r will divide out and it will equal 4(pi)^2m/r^2... where did the 4 pi^2 go?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook