Kepler's Laws: Escape Velocity and Rotational Period of Asteroid

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving Kepler's Laws, specifically calculating the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of an asteroid and determining the smallest value for its rotational period before rocks on its equator fly off. The discussion includes attempts at using the formulas for rotational motion and escape velocity, with the final solution involving setting the centripetal acceleration equal to the acceleration due to gravity and using the period of rotation formula.
sillybean
[SOLVED] Kepler's Laws

Homework Statement

Consider an asteroid with a radius of 11 km and a mass of 3.8×1015 kg.
Assume the asteroid is roughly spherical.

a) What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the asteroid?
b)Suppose the asteroid spins about an axis through its center, like the Earth, with a rotational period T.
What is the smallest value T
can have before loose rocks on the asteroid's equator begin to fly off the surface? (answer in hours)

Homework Equations

gA = G(MA/RA^2)

w (angular velocity) = v esc (escape speed)/RA

*note just some notational stuff: MA = mass of asteroid and RA = its radius

T=2pi/w (angular velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A just fine. Its just a good ol' plug and chug. I got gA= 2.1x10^-3 m/s^2 which is right.

For part B however, I was thinking that if i calculated the angular speed (since its rotational motion) and then just used the formula for a period of rotational motion I could get the seconds and then just easily convert that into hours. Anyway here's my work.

w = sq root (2GM/RA)/RA

since GM/RA is just equal to gA

w=sq root (2gA/RA)

w= sq root(2*2.1X10^-3/11000)= sq root (3.81E-7) = 6.179E-4 rad/s

then i plugged that number into T=2pi/w

T= 2pi/6.179E-4 = 10168.375 s

10168.375 (1/3600) = 2.8 hours

Unfortunately, that answer is wrong. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
sillybean said:
For part B however, I was thinking that if i calculated the angular speed (since its rotational motion) and then just used the formula for a period of rotational motion I could get the seconds and then just easily convert that into hours. Anyway here's my work.

w = sq root (2GM/RA)/RA

since GM/RA is just equal to gA

w=sq root (2gA/RA)

What do you mean with "the formula for a period of rotational motion"

I'd use the fact that gA must be equal to the centripetal acceleration, which gives something ldifferent from: w=sq root (2gA/RA)

I meant the period of rotation formula T=2pi/w (angular acceleration)

ah that worked. genius! thanks.

sillybean said:
ah that worked. genius! thanks.

What worked? I've been trying to figure out how you went wrong for an hour...what did you change?

What they meant was that you get the right answer if you set the centripetal acceleration equal to the acceleration due to gravity of the asteroid, solve for velocity, find angular momentum, divide by 3600.
I still don't understand why you couldn't use the equation for escape velocity. Because it's too close to the surface?

1. What are Kepler's Laws?

Kepler's Laws are three scientific principles that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were developed by astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

2. What is the first law of Kepler?

The first law of Kepler, also known as the law of ellipses, states that the orbit of a planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci of the ellipse.

3. How does Kepler's second law relate to the speed of a planet?

Kepler's second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal times. This means that a planet moves faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

4. What is the significance of Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law, also known as the law of harmonies, describes the relationship between a planet's orbital period and its distance from the sun. It states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis.

5. How are Kepler's Laws used in modern astronomy?

Kepler's Laws are still used in modern astronomy to study and predict the motion of planets and other objects in our solar system. They have also been applied to other systems, such as binary stars and exoplanets, to understand their orbital dynamics.