1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keplers second law of motion

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Kepler's second law states that " The line joining the planet and the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times"

2. Relevant equations

Please refer the attachment i have given

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does this mean the area of the triangle on the left is equal to the area of the triangle on the right? I interpret in this way, i.e., when planet takes 5 hours ( say) to move from A to B it sweeps out the area given in red lines and when it moves from the position C, after 5 hrs, it reaches the position D, so according to Kepler's law the area swept out when planet moves from C to D is same as A To D. Am i right, revered members? correct me if i am wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You are interpreting it correctly. Remember that the areas in red and green are not exactly triangles, since the orbit is curved. Aside from this, your statements are correct.

4. Aug 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply phyzguy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook