Kepler's third law constant

In summary, to determine Kepler's third-law constant Ku for Uranus using the data for the first four moons, you would calculate the K constant for each moon using the equation K=(r)^3/(T)^2, where r is the distance from Uranus and T is the orbital period. These K values should be similar for all four moons. To find the average K value, add all four K values together and divide by four. For any missing information, such as the orbital period or K value for a specific moon, you can use the average K value to solve for the missing variable.
Mary1910

Homework Statement

Determine Kepler's third-law constant Ku for Uranus using the data for the first four moons.

Homework Equations

[/B]
(r)^3/(T)^2 = K

Data:
Moon #1 (Ophelia)
r=5.38 x 10^4 km
T=0.375 Earth Days

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know the question asks for the K constant for the first four moons, but I'm only posting my attempt for the first moon, just so I can confirm that I am solving them correctly.

K=(r)^3/(T)^2

first convert km to m
(5.38 x 10^4km)(1000m)
=5.38 x 10^7 m

and then Earth days to seconds
(0.375 Earth days)(86400s)
=32400 s

K=(5.38 x 10^7)^3 / (32400)^2
K=1.48 x 10^14 m3/s2

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating the other moons is a great opportunity to test the results - the numbers should be similar for all four moons. If you get different results something is wrong, if you get the same result the answer is right.

mfb said:
Calculating the other moons is a great opportunity to test the results - the numbers should be similar for all four moons. If you get different results something is wrong, if you get the same result the answer is right.
Thanks, and yes the Kepler constants for the other four moons were very close to the result I have for the first moon.

Question b) In this problem asked me to find the average K value for all four moons. I then added all four together and then divided by four to have 1.47 x 10^14 m3/s2. In question c) we are asked to complete the missing information for the rest of the moons listed.

Ex. Moon #5(Rosalind)
r=6.99 x 10^4 km
T=?
K=?

Since the K value is missing, would it make sense to sub the average K value from part b (1.47 x 10^14 m3/s2) into K=(r)^3/(T)^2 and then solve for T?

Thanks for your help.

Mary1910 said:
Since the K value is missing, would it make sense to sub the average K value from part b (1.47 x 10^14 m3/s2) into K=(r)^3/(T)^2 and then solve for T?
Sure.

mfb said:
Sure.

Thanks

What is Kepler's third law constant?

Kepler's third law constant, also known as the mathematical constant of proportionality, is a value used in the equation for Kepler's third law of planetary motion. It relates the orbital period of a planet to its distance from the sun.

How is Kepler's third law constant calculated?

Kepler's third law constant is calculated by dividing the square of a planet's orbital period by the cube of its semi-major axis, or average distance from the sun. This calculation results in a constant value that is the same for all planets in our solar system.

What is the significance of Kepler's third law constant?

Kepler's third law constant is significant because it allows scientists to calculate the orbital period of a planet based on its distance from the sun. This constant also helps us understand the relationship between a planet's orbit and its distance from the sun.

Is Kepler's third law constant the same for all planets?

Yes, Kepler's third law constant is the same for all planets in our solar system. This is because the constant is based on the universal laws of gravity and planetary motion, which apply to all objects in the universe.

How does Kepler's third law constant relate to the mass of a planet?

Kepler's third law constant does not directly relate to the mass of a planet. However, a planet's mass can affect its orbital period and distance from the sun, which in turn can impact the value of the constant for that particular planet.