1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's third law

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using astronomical units as the unit of length , years as the time , and the mass of the Sun as the unit of mass , the value for k in kepler's third law is 1. In these units , what is the value of Newton's constant of gravitation G?

2. Relevant equations
    P^2 =k*a^3
    P^2= 4*pi^2*a^3/(G(m(1)+m(2))
    Possibly k=4*pi^2/G*M(sun)
    P is the period

3. The attempt at a solution

since k = 1 and k =4*pi^2/G*M(sun), all I have to do is switch variables. k=4*pi^2/(G*M(sun)) => 4*pi^2/(M(sun))=G , but I found that method to be a problem because the G I calculated isn't equal the universal Gravitational constant we are all familar with.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

So taking the mass of the sun as 1 solar mass... your answer should be [tex]G = 4{\pi}^2 (years)^{-2}(AU)^3(solar masses)^{-1}[/tex]

To check that this is the same G you need to convert units...

4. Aug 31, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The universal gravitational constant has units. The value with which you are familiar, [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex] is in units of [tex]m^3/kg/s^2[/tex]. The value differs when you change the system of units. For example, G is [tex]7.616\times10^{-5}[/tex] in the ever-popular furlongs-fortnights-stones system. You are asked to specify G in the AU-Msun-year system. The answer is not [tex]6.6730\times10^{-11}[/tex].

5. Aug 31, 2007 #4
    Are my equations correct? I just need to convert my units to SI units?

6. Aug 31, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, I think the equations are right. just convert the units.

7. Aug 31, 2007 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your instructor did not ask for the value of G in SI (MKS) units. He asked for it in AU-solar mass-year units. Learning physics gave you the answer in these units post #2.

You only need to convert to SI if you want to verify that your answer is correct. If you do the conversion right, you will get [itex]6.672\times10^{-11}\text{m}^3/\text{sec}^2/\text{kg}[/tex], which compares very favorably with the published value of [itex]6.673\times10^{-11}\text{m}^3/\text{sec}^2/\text{kg}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?