• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Kernel and Image

• Thread starter bubbles
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Kernel and Image

1. Homework Statement
Ker(A) = Im(B)
AB = ?

A is an m x p matrix. B is a p x n matrix.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Since Ker(A) is the subset of the domain of B and Im(B) is the subset of the codomain of B, AB = I. I = identity matrix.

Is this right? It doesn't seem to make sense. There must be a mathematical (symbolic) way to solve for AB, right?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm assuming this means B:R^n->R^p. A:R^p->R^m. That way at least Ker(A) and Im(B) live in the same space. Now what do you say AB:R^n->R^m is?

Last edited:
Is AB the p x m identity matrix?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Bad guess. AB is nxm. Consider AB(v). B(v) is in Im(B)=Ker(A). Guess again. Uh, what do you mean by 'identity matrix' anyway. There is no pxm identity matrix. Do you mean the zero matrix?

Last edited:
Since Im(B) = Ker(A), does that imply that A and B are invertible? Then if B(v) is in the Ker(A) and Ker(A) = {0}, then AB = 0. Is that right?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Only one thing you said is right. Why should anything be invertible and why should Ker(A)={0}? If B(v) is in Ker(A) what's A(B(v))? If you think AB=0 then try and put together an argument that will convince me. In your own words.

Since B(v) is in Ker(A) and T(v) = A * ker(A) = 0, then AB must be zero.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What's T? I think you MIGHT know what you are trying to say, but that's just a guess. If that's what you are planning to turn in as a solution, I don't think it will work. Can't you put that more clearly?

The book defines the kernel as a subspace x and T(x) = Ax = 0 and ker(A) = x. T(x) is the linear transformation and A is the matrix. Should I not put the book's equation T(x) = Ax in my solution?

So in the solution I wrote in my homework, I wrote: BX is in ker(A) and AX = 0, X is in ker(A), therefore AB = 0, is that a good explanation?

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I don't have your book. What's the linear transformation associated with Bx? Is it also T? What's the linear transformation associated with AB(x). If it's T, I'll scream. You aren't expressing yourself clearly. That's all I'll say.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So in the solution I wrote in my homework, I wrote: BX is in ker(A) and AX = 0, X is in ker(A), therefore AB = 0, is that a good explanation?
It's getting there. Try saying this. For any vector x, Bx is in Im(B). Since Im(B)=Ker(A) then Bx is in Ker(A). If Bx is in Ker(A) then A(Bx)=0. So ABx=0 for all x. So AB=0. How does that sound?

Thank you for your help! I understand what you mean about my vague explanation. I will try to clarify things a bit on my paper.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You're welcome. Thanks for letting me scream. Good luck!