Kernel is a principle ideal?

In summary, the problem involves proving that the kernel of a homomorphism from Z[x] to R, which sends x to 1+sqrt(2), is a principal ideal and finding a generator for this ideal. The homomorphism essentially evaluates polynomials at x=1+sqrt(2). The generator for the ideal is x^2-2x-1. The problem may have been confusing, but ultimately the main difficulty was understanding the mapping and its implications.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Prove that the kernel of the homomorphism Z[x]->R sending x to 1+sqrt(2) is a principle ideal, and find a generator for this ideal.

Z is the integers
R is the real numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume sending x to sqrt(2) is an example. We should first find the actual map shoudn't we? Otherwise we can't find the kernel of this map. I have tried like

1. Sending the coefficients of x to C+sqrt(x) or C(1+sqrt(2)) where C is the coefficient of x.
2. Sending the constant of the polynomial to C+1+sqrt(2) or C(1+sqrt(2)) where C is the consant of the polynomial.
3. Sending the coefficient of the greatest power in the polynomial to C+sqrt(2) or C(1+sqrt(2)) where C is the coefficient of the greatest power of the polynomial.

All 3 example maps do not form a homomorphism.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or does this homomorphism only sends polynomials in Z[x] with a single elements to 1+sqrt(2) guided by x->1+sqrt(2) so x^2->(1+sqrt(2))^2 and x^0->(1+sqrt(2))^0. 2x->2(1+sqrt(2)).

Z[x] is the ring of all polynomials with integer coefficients. This homomorphism essentially "evaluates" the polynomial at [itex]x= 1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex].

For example the polynomial [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] is mapped into [itex]a(1+ \sqrt{2})^2+ b(1+ \sqrt{2})+ c[/itex]. Yes, that is a homomorphism and its kernel is the set of polynomials having [itex]1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] as a zero. Obviously, if P(x) has [itex]1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] as zero, then any product P(x)Q(x) has also. It should also be obvious that if a polynomial with integer coefficients has [itex]1+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] as a zero, then it must also have [itex]1- \sqrt{2}[/itex] and so has [itex](x-1-\sqrt{2})(x-1+\sqrt{2})= (x-1)^2- 2= x^2- 2x- 1[/itex] as a factor.

I see, that makes more sense. It means evaluate the polynomial at 1+sqrt(2). I think they should have been more clear with it as it took me 2 hours and still couldn't figure it out what the question meant until HallsofIvy came along.

Although with your last point, there are many integer coefficient polynomials with 1+sqrt2 as a zero but 1-sqrt2 not being a zero. i.e g(x)(x-(1+sqrt2)) contains many polynomials with 1+sqrt2 being a zero but very few with 1-sqrt2 also as a zero. i.e let g(x)=x-1 and many other g(x). However if the polynomial was in C[x] (which this question does not involve) then zeros do come in complex conjugates.

Looks like the hard bit of the question was working out what it's asking and working out what map it describes.

Last edited:
No, I made a mistake in my last post. g(x)(x-(1+sqrt2)) is not in Z[x]. Now I understand why you said x^2-2x-1 must be a factor of a polynomial in order for it to lie in the kernel.

Sorry, but I thought the problem was very clear. What was NOT clear to me was why you were looking at things like "Sending the coefficients of x to C+sqrt(x) or C(1+sqrt(2)) where C is the coefficient of x" or "Sending the coefficient of the greatest power in the polynomial to C+sqrt(2) or C(1+sqrt(2)) ". Those couldn't possibly be homomorphisms- they don't use all of the "information" in the polynomial.

1. What is the definition of a principle ideal?

A principle ideal is a special type of ideal in abstract algebra that is generated by a single element. It is the smallest ideal that contains the given element.

2. How is a principle ideal related to the kernel?

The kernel of a ring homomorphism is a principle ideal in the given ring. This means that the kernel is generated by a single element, which is typically denoted by 0.

3. Can the kernel of a homomorphism be a non-principle ideal?

Yes, it is possible for the kernel of a homomorphism to be a non-principle ideal. This occurs when the kernel is generated by more than one element.

4. What is the significance of the kernel in abstract algebra?

The kernel is an important concept in abstract algebra because it helps to understand the structure and properties of algebraic structures such as rings, groups, and fields. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quotient structures and factorization.

5. How does the kernel relate to the image of a homomorphism?

The kernel and the image of a homomorphism are related through the first isomorphism theorem, which states that the image of a homomorphism is isomorphic to the quotient of the given structure by the kernel. This means that the kernel determines the structure of the image.