What is the kernel of a field morphism and how is it related to ideals?

In summary, a field morphism is a ring morphism, and the kernel of a field morphism is an ideal. It is trivial to show that a field morphism is injective.
eep
Does it make sense to talk about the kernel of a field morphism? If so, what is it? I'm getting confused because we've defined a field to be a commutative group (F,+) and a map m: F -> F s.t. (F \{0}, m) form another commutative group. For shorthand we're calling the unit element for the + operation 0, and the unit element for m as 1.

So I'd want to define the kernel of a field morphism as the set of all elements in F1 that get mapped to 0 in F2, and the set of all element in F1 that get mapped to 1 in F2. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
eep said:
Does it make sense to talk about the kernel of a field morphism? If so, what is it? I'm getting confused because we've defined a field to be a commutative group (F,+) and a map m: F -> F s.t. (F \{0}, m) form another commutative group. For shorthand we're calling the unit element for the + operation 0, and the unit element for m as 1.

So I'd want to define the kernel of a field morphism as the set of all elements in F1 that get mapped to 0 in F2, and the set of all element in F1 that get mapped to 1 in F2. Help!

the kernel of a group hom f:G->G is just kerf = {x in G| f(x) = e}
the kernel of a ring hom f:R->R is just kerf = {x in R| f(x) = 0}

The definitions are analogous. They are both the set of elements x such that f(x) = identity in the group

A field is a ring, with some other nice properties, so just set R = F above.

I was getting confused because in a field we have two groups, (F, +) and (F, .). Thanks.

eep said:
I was getting confused because in a field we have two groups, (F, +) and (F, .). Thanks.
(F, .) is not a group; (F\{0}, .) is.

Also, when you say "field morphism" you're probably talking about a ring (homo)morphism (after all, a field is a special type of ring), which already has a notion of a kernel. If you stop to think about what a kernel ought to do (think in the flavor of injectivity, equivalence relations, quotient structures, etc.), you should see that considering things that get mapped to 1 isn't really what we're after.

As morphism says field-homomorphism can be though of as ring-morphisms. However, the kernel of a field-homomorphism is not very interesting. Because by the fundamental theorem of homomorphisms its kernel is an ideal of a field. But fields only have the identity or themselves as their own ideals. Thus, it is very trivial to consider.

What book would be good for these sorts of notions? I'm currently taking a linear algebra class but the professor felt it was best to first talk about mathematical objects. So we defined monoids, groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and algebras. We then spoke about morphisms between two of the same object, so I'm not familiar with terms like equivalence relations and quotient structures.

A homework question asked us to show that a field morphism has to be injective, which led me to my question. It is trivial to show now that I know how to think about a field morphism!

Any book on abstract algebra would go over these things. There are a few threads about algebra books scattered across the forums, so try searching for them.

a field morphism is a ring morphism, so the kernel of a field morphism is an ideal. so ity suffices to classify ideals in a field. ...?

1. What is the kernel of a field morphism?

The kernel of a field morphism is the set of all elements in the domain that are mapped to the additive identity (usually denoted as 0) in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of all elements in the domain that are mapped to 0 under the field morphism.

2. How is the kernel of a field morphism related to the concept of a homomorphism?

A field morphism is a type of homomorphism, which is a mathematical structure-preserving map between two algebraic structures. The kernel of a field morphism plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of the homomorphism.

3. Can the kernel of a field morphism be empty?

Yes, the kernel of a field morphism can be empty. This occurs when all elements in the domain are mapped to the additive identity in the codomain, meaning there are no non-zero elements in the kernel.

4. How is the kernel of a field morphism related to the concept of a quotient space?

The kernel of a field morphism is closely related to the concept of a quotient space. In fact, the quotient space is defined as the set of all cosets of the kernel of the field morphism. This allows us to view the kernel as a type of equivalence relation on the domain.

5. What is the significance of the kernel of a field morphism in abstract algebra?

The kernel of a field morphism is an important concept in abstract algebra because it allows us to study the structure and properties of fields through the lens of homomorphisms. Additionally, the kernel is used in various theorems and proofs, such as the first isomorphism theorem, which states that the quotient of the domain by the kernel is isomorphic to the image of the field morphism.