1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel of eigenspace.

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    Lets say you have a linear transformation P. The eigenvalues of the matrices are 0,1 and 2.
    How would you show that ker P belongs to the eigenspace corresponding to 0?

So you have an eigenvalue 0. Let A be the 3X3 matrix.
    I was thinking of doing something like Ax=λx and substitute 0 for λ. And then show that x,y,z are equal to 0 and hence the eigenspace is 0. Would this be a good idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thinking a little more about it would be the best idea. Isn't the definition of x being in ker P the same as the definition of x being a eigenvector with eigenvalue 0?

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3
    yes so I assume the original suggestion was bad.

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was certainly confusing. If you meant the vector x has the components (x,y,z) then Ax=0 doesn't necessarily mean x,y,z=0.

6. Nov 30, 2013 #5
    Im sorry. I am really really bad/hopeless at linear mathematics. When I meant that A(x,y,z)=0

7. Nov 30, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are given a specific matrix A and you want to find ker A then that's what you do alright. But you don't have to find ker A to see that it's the same as the set of eigenvectors with eigenvalue 0.

8. Nov 30, 2013 #7
    ok cool. I am starting to understand a little better. How do you know the kernel A is the same as the set of eigenvectors with eigenvalue 0? Where do I go from here?

9. Nov 30, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What equation does a vector in the kernel of A satisfy? What equation does an eigenvector with ##\lambda=0## satisfy?

10. Nov 30, 2013 #9
    what are you asking for the original matrix?

11. Nov 30, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. I'm asking you to tell us how to express the phrase "##\vec{x}## is in the kernel of a matrix A" mathematically. Similarly, how do you say "##\vec{x}## is an eigenvector of matrix A with eigenvalue 0" mathematically?

12. Nov 30, 2013 #11
    for "vector x is in the kernel of A" ker(A)={x belongs to X: T(x)=0}
    I am not sure about the other one.
    Great question by the way, really forcing me to think and understand.

13. Nov 30, 2013 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your definition for the kernel of A isn't correct as there's no mention of A.

Look up the definition of an eigenvector and eigenvalue. In math, you really should know the definitions.

14. Nov 30, 2013 #13
    What should it be?
    to calculate eigenvalue you use Ax=lambda x
    I know it is a relatively new topic we have started and I can not stand it. But I try

15. Nov 30, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to take the think and understand challenge. What's wrong with saying
    for "vector x is in the kernel of A" ker(A)={x belongs to X: T(x)=0}? What does T have to do with it? And, yes, x is an eigenvector if Ax=lambda x. What value of lambda are you interested in?

16. Dec 1, 2013 #15
    The value of lambda I am interested in is 0.

AT the end should it be T(A)=0?
    Is this stuff needed to answer the question?

17. Dec 1, 2013 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't! There was no "T" in your question and you cannot just throw one in without defining it! The kernel of A is the set of all x such that A(x)= 0, not "T(x)= 0" as you had before.

Yes, knowing the definition of "Kernel" is needed to answer questions about the "kernel" of a linear transformation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted