Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel of the Transpose

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    B= A transpose

What is the relation between ker(BA) and ker(A)? I was told that they are equal to each other, but I can't figure out why.

ker(A) => Ax = 0
    ker(BA) => BAx = 0 so that BA is a subset of A. This shows that ker(BA) =0 whenever ker(A) = 0, but how does this also show that they are equal?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be the case that your shorthand is obscuring things -- try writing things more precisely, and maybe the answer will become more clear.
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    Hi, thanks for your response.

What do you mean my shorthand? I only said that B = A transpose because I didn't know how to write the superscript T on the forums (is that what you meant?)

Does showing that ker(A^T*A) is a subset of ker(A) show that they are equal?
  5. Apr 29, 2008 #4
    Let me use Latex for your convenience (you can click on them to learn how to write in case you don't know)...

[tex]B = A^T[/tex]

[tex]\ker{(A)} \Rightarrow Ax=0[/tex] and [tex]\ker{(BA)} \Rightarrow BAx = 0[/tex]

Now plug B in

[tex]\ker{(A^TA)} \Rightarrow A^TAx = 0[/tex]

And what do you know about [itex]A^TA[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?