1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel of this homomorphism

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Show that the kernel of the homomorphism [itex] \theta: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{10} [/itex] defined by [itex] \theta(a+bi) = [a+3b]_{10}, a,b \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex] is [itex] <1+3i> [/itex] (i.e. the ideal generated by 1+3i).

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer confuses me. It shows that any element of [itex] <1+3i> [/itex] is indeed in the kernel (one way proof), then to show the other way it says;

Conversely let [itex] a+bi \in ker(\theta) \Rightarrow a+3b \equiv 0mod10 \Rightarrow 3a \equiv bmod10 [/itex]. Therefore [itex] a+bi \in <1+3i> [/itex] .

I'm not sure how it concludes the "therefore" part so easily. For example, [itex] 4+2i [/itex] would be in the kernel, because [itex] 12 \equiv 2mod10 [/itex] but from this proof it's not intuitively obvious to me that that [itex] 4+2i [/itex] is contained in [itex] <1+3i> [/itex]. It is though, because [itex] (1+3i)(1-i) = 4+2i [/itex]. But exactly how does the latter half of the proof show that, (just as an example), [itex] 4+2i [/itex] is contained within [itex] <1+3i> [/itex]?

Basically, how does [itex]3a \equiv bmod10 \Rightarrow a+bi \in <1+3i> [/itex]?

I've found a way to prove this, but it requires a bit of work;

An element is in the kernel if

[itex] 3a - b = 10k [/itex]

[itex] b = 3a - 10k [/itex]

So any complex number of the form;

[itex] a + (3a-10k)i [/itex]

Is in the kernel.

Is [itex] a + (3a-10k)i \subseteq <1+3i> [/itex]?

This means, is there some [itex] c+di [/itex] such that;

[itex] (c+di)(1+3i) = (a+(3a-10k))i [/itex]?

Yes, re-arranging shows that.

[itex] c = a - 3k, d = -k [/itex]

So [itex] (a+(3a-10k)) \in <1+3i> [/itex]

So [itex] ker(\theta) \subseteq <1+3i> [/itex]

This proves it for me, but the way my given answers simply say [itex]3a \equiv bmod10 \Rightarrow a+bi \in <1+3i> [/itex] suggests there is a clear way of noticing this without doing any working out. What is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you need for a+bi to be in <1+3i> is that it be evenly divisible by 1+3i. Multiplying numerator and denominator of (a+bi)/(1+3i) by (1-3i) gives you (a+3b)/10+i*(-3a+b)/10, hence the divisibility by 10 conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook