Kernel

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm working on this to try and find out more on kernels. I've written out basically what the robotic solving methods are for them but I simply don't have answers, help?

Let G denote the set G = {f : R → R | f is infinitely differentiable at every point x ∈ R}. (R as in the reals)
(a) Prove that G is a group under addition. Is G a group under multiplication? Why or why not?
(b) Consider the function ϕ : G → G defined by ϕ(f) = f′
Prove that ϕ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ϕ?
(c) Consider the function ψ : G → G defined by ψ(f) = f′′ − f. Prove that ψ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ψ?

My work:

For (a) we need to prove that G satisfies all the group axioms under addition. Let f, g, h be infinitely differentiable at every point x in R

Closure : f + g is infinitely differentiable at every point x in R
Associativity : (f + g) + h = f + (g + h)
Identity : Find a function e in G such that for all functions f in G such that f + e = e + f = f
Inverse : For all f in G find an inverse ~f in G such that f + ~f = e

Is G a group under multiplication?

For (b) and (c)

The kernel of a homomophism are all elements of the domain group that map to the zero element, e, of the codomain.

What is the zero element of the codomain? This is e I found for G in the group axioms. In this problem e is the zero function zero(x) = 0?

So for (b), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does phi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f'(x) = 0 for all x in R?

for (c), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does psi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f''(x) - f(x) = 0 for all x in R?

Answers and Replies

I'm working on this to try and find out more on kernels. I've written out basically what the robotic solving methods are for them but I simply don't have answers, help?

Let G denote the set G = {f : R → R | f is infinitely differentiable at every point x ∈ R}. (R as in the reals)
(a) Prove that G is a group under addition. Is G a group under multiplication? Why or why not?
(b) Consider the function ϕ : G → G defined by ϕ(f) = f′
Prove that ϕ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ϕ?
(c) Consider the function ψ : G → G defined by ψ(f) = f′′ − f. Prove that ψ is a homomorphism with respect to the group operation of addition. What is the kernel of ψ?

My work:

For (a) we need to prove that G satisfies all the group axioms under addition. Let f, g, h be infinitely differentiable at every point x in R

Closure : f + g is infinitely differentiable at every point x in R
Associativity : (f + g) + h = f + (g + h)
Identity : Find a function e in G such that for all functions f in G such that f + e = e + f = f
Inverse : For all f in G find an inverse ~f in G such that f + ~f = e

Is G a group under multiplication?
No, since we may have zeros ##z## of a function ##f##, which cannot be inverted ##1 \neq g(z)\cdot f(z)## regardless how we define ##g##.
For (b) and (c)

The kernel of a homomophism are all elements of the domain group that map to the zero element, e, of the codomain.

What is the zero element of the codomain? This is e I found for G in the group axioms. In this problem e is the zero function zero(x) = 0?

So for (b), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does phi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f'(x) = 0 for all x in R?
Yes. And ##phi(f)=f'=0## means that ##f## is a constant function: ##f(x)=c \in \mathbb{R}## for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}\,.##
for (c), the problem is asking for which functions f in G does psi(f) = zero, i.e. which functions has f''(x) - f(x) = 0 for all x in R?
Yes. And ##f''(x)=f(x)## is true for all functions ##f(x)= \alpha e^x -\beta e^{-x}##.

Likes HallsofIvy