Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel32.dll error message

1. Feb 1, 2004 #1
    My friend keeps getting this error message when his computer loads...

All of that probably wasn't necessary...I'm pretty sure all he has to do is fix his kernel32.dll file (by downloading an uncorrupted one)...is that right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

Have you tried to uninstall Java VM and installing a fresh copy. If that doesn't work do the following:

1) backup data
    2) format drive
    3) reinstall windows.

or ignore step 3 and install linux
  4. May 6, 2004 #3
    Multiple Sun JVM versions??

According to other newsgroups that I see around the internet, this issue happens when you have multiple JVM versions installed. Here's the method I used to determine if I had mutliple versions installed on XP. You can probably translate these instructions to your own OS.

Start->Control Panel->Java->Java->Applet Runtime Settings-View
    Start->Control Panel->Java->Java->JNLP Runtime Settings-View

If you see more than one JVM enabled there, you should disable or
    the version(s) that you don't want to use. That appeared to fix the
    for the people in the newsgroups complaining about it. Evidently
    installations interfere w/ each other as there were some defects in the
    JVM installation programs that left remnants of older versions still
    installed and enabled. The intent was to let Java developers switch
    between different versions, but I guess there were some bugs in Sun's
    installer code.

Here's a link to some of the newsgroups complaining about this.

If this turns out to fix your problem, please keep track of what JVM versions that you had installed and post it here. I'm trying to file a defect w/ Sun and the more information that I can give them, the higher the probability is that they can replicate and fix it. Thanks!
  5. May 10, 2004 #4
    Or please file your own defect w/ Sun at:

This newsgroup says that the problem is with a clash between the SUN JVM and MS Outlook 2003:
    IE only crashes when Microsoft Outlook 2003 is running. I have also found that the problem goes away when I switch my display properties from 32 bit to 16bit.

Again, if you can reproduce this defect, please file all of your information into a defect w/ Sun.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?