Kerr-Bolt Spacetime: Derivation & Resources

In summary, the conversation is about the Kerr-Bolt solution and the need for resources to understand its derivation. The person mentions a 1979 article by Gibbons and Hawking as a potential source for information.
Sumarna
I am unable to find any paper or book on Kerr-Bolt solution. I need to know its derivation. Please if anyone can suggest some material on it? I will be very thankful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sumarna said:
I am unable to find any paper or book on Kerr-Bolt solution. I need to know its derivation. Please if anyone can suggest some material on it? I will be very thankful.

The term "bolt" goes back (at least) to a 1979 article (now open access) by Gibbons and Hawking,

https://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.cmp/1103905051

1. What is Kerr-Bolt Spacetime?

Kerr-Bolt Spacetime is a mathematical model that describes the properties of spacetime near a rotating electrically charged black hole. It combines the Kerr metric, which describes a rotating black hole, with the electromagnetic field equations for a charged particle.

2. How is Kerr-Bolt Spacetime derived?

The Kerr-Bolt Spacetime is derived by solving the Einstein-Maxwell equations, which describe the relationship between gravity and electromagnetism, for a rotating electrically charged black hole. This involves complex mathematical calculations and has been done by various scientists over the years.

3. What are some applications of Kerr-Bolt Spacetime?

Kerr-Bolt Spacetime has been used in various fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and black hole physics. It has also been used to study the properties of rotating black holes and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

4. Are there any limitations to the Kerr-Bolt Spacetime model?

Yes, the Kerr-Bolt Spacetime model has some limitations. It assumes that the black hole is in a vacuum, meaning there are no other objects around it. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics, which may be important at very small scales.

5. What resources are available for studying Kerr-Bolt Spacetime?

There are various books, scientific papers, and online resources available for studying Kerr-Bolt Spacetime. Some recommended resources include "Gravitation" by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler, and "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars" by Stuart L. Shapiro and Saul A. Teukolsky.