1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kerr effect, experiment

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I what to do a summer physics project on Kerr effect. I want to determine Kerr constant for some molecules. Problem is that i cannot get nitro-benzene and nitro-toluene. Therefor i need to do my research on some other molecules, problem is that i dont have mentor who knows something more about Kerr effect, and i literature and papers I've only found that they did research on some big organic molecules, without explanation why did they used it.

I would be thankful if someone knows with what molecules i could work, or if someone could recommend some more literature on it.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have 30cm holding tank, 20kV voltage and power-meter that can detect changes of 1nW.
    I've try with water, but power-meter shows smaller value when electric filed is on, possibly because of electro-optic modulating properties of water ?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted