Gravitational Field of a Spinning Mass: Exploring the Math

In summary, the speaker has obtained Kerr's paper and is seeking help understanding the mathematics involved. They mention potentially seeking guidance from a book by James Hartle for those without a background in general relativity or differential geometry, or a book by Barrett O'Neill for those with a background in those subjects.
John_Doe
I have obtained Kerr's paper, "Gravitational Field Of A Spinning Mass As An Example Of Algebraically Special Metrics", and was wondering if someone would be able to provide an explanation of the mathematics, or at least some direction in which I should investigate in order to learn the mathematics myself. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
John_Doe said:
I have obtained Kerr's paper, "Gravitational Field Of A Spinning Mass As An Example Of Algebraically Special Metrics", and was wondering if someone would be able to provide an explanation of the mathematics, or at least some direction in which I should investigate in order to learn the mathematics myself. Any help would be great.

If you have no background in general relativity or differential geometry, then page 1 of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by James Hartle is a good place to start.

If you have a background in GR and differential geometry, then https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568810199/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Barrett O'Neill has some interesting stuff.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, I'd be happy to provide some guidance on understanding the mathematics behind Kerr's paper. To start, it's important to have a basic understanding of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

In his paper, Kerr explores a specific type of spacetime geometry called an "algebraically special metric," which is a solution to Einstein's equations that has certain symmetries. This metric describes the gravitational field around a spinning mass, such as a rotating black hole.

The mathematical tools used in Kerr's paper include tensor calculus, which is a way of describing the curvature of spacetime in terms of mathematical objects called tensors. You'll also encounter differential geometry, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with curved spaces and how they can be described using coordinate systems.

Specifically, Kerr uses the Newman-Penrose formalism, which is a mathematical framework for describing spacetime using complex numbers. This allows for a more elegant and concise representation of the equations of general relativity.

If you're not familiar with these mathematical concepts, I would recommend starting with some introductory texts on general relativity and differential geometry. Some helpful resources include "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, and "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John Lee.

Additionally, it may be helpful to familiarize yourself with the concept of a metric, which is a mathematical object that describes the distance between points in a space. In the context of general relativity, the metric describes how spacetime is curved due to the presence of mass and energy.

Overall, understanding Kerr's paper requires a solid foundation in general relativity and differential geometry. With some patience and dedication, you should be able to grasp the mathematics and appreciate the elegant description of the gravitational field around a spinning mass. Good luck on your journey of exploration!

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space around an object where other objects experience a force of attraction due to the object's mass.

2. How is the gravitational field of a spinning mass different from a stationary mass?

The gravitational field of a spinning mass is different because it includes an additional component called the centrifugal force, which is caused by the spinning motion of the mass.

3. How is the gravitational field of a spinning mass calculated?

The gravitational field of a spinning mass can be calculated using the equation for Newton's law of universal gravitation, which takes into account the mass, distance, and angular velocity of the spinning mass.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the gravitational field and the mass of the spinning object?

The strength of the gravitational field increases as the mass of the spinning object increases. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the object.

5. How do scientists use the mathematical exploration of the gravitational field of a spinning mass?

Scientists use the mathematical exploration of the gravitational field of a spinning mass to understand and predict the behavior of objects in space, such as planets and galaxies. This knowledge also helps in the development of technologies such as space travel and satellite navigation.