Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kerry Vs. Bush, Miles Per Gallon

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    Kerry wants more efficiency with our automobiles. I predict he'll win on this point in the debates, if it's capitalized upon.

Why? Any energy saved because of more efficiently built autos is energy that could be directly invested in things elsewhere in the economy. The consumer price could go down, or the consumer price could go up proportionate to the amount of energy saved because of the increase in miles per gallon.

Either way, somebody comes out with energy to be applied where now it's being wasted by every auto not up to standard.

If the consumer spends less on fuel, they save, which increase their standard of living.

If the price goes up proportionate with more efficient autos, either the energy company or the government could take the savings and apply it to more intelligent forms in our infrastructure.

We could even distribute the energy savings. A little bit of savings for the consumer and some for the companies and some for the government would help all.

The idiots behind limiting the mpg are simple energy wasting fools on all grounds.

Anyone disagree or approve, that Kerry has got this point won in the debates hands down?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

kat

Oh....I was going to comment on who's vehicle had the best MPG...Kerry's fleet of SUV's or Bush's pickup...but I see that's not what you're talking about at all.....

4. Sep 27, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think either candidate is seriously addressing the issue. Both are talking about unrealistic pipe dreams like hydrogen power, for example.

But certainly, if Kerry chooses, he can play up the whole Bush-is-in-big-oil's-pocket thing. He'd be wise to focus any response to an energy question on that.

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4
    We are all forced to vote on one candidate, if we want to vote. So, I have to take what they are saying relative to one another. I think Kerry has the right attitude on mpg. I have to assume they are taking it seriously.

The mass of automobiles comprise a huge amount of energy use and small changes in savings of energy on the entire infrastructure will leave Americans in genreal with a huge amount of energy to spend in an another way, instead of loosing it to waste. Every American works harder just because the engines aren't brought up to theire most efficient level and entropy of the system increases.

It's too big of a mass and amount of energy to not take seriously at their level of influence.

6. Sep 27, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it's not, but I thought Kerry didn't himself own an SUV ? Hmmm, maybe that was a long time ago...

7. Sep 27, 2004 #6

kat

Oh...oh...right, I forgot...it was the "families"! :rofl:

8. Sep 27, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kat and mouse, eh ?

9. Sep 27, 2004 #8

kat

Mmmmreeeoooww :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?