Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kerry's vision for the space program

1. Jun 17, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose this topic could go into the Politics forum, but I think the interested members are mostly here.

So, what will Kerry's vision be? Here's a clue from Space.com...

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that Kerry would (1) drop Bush's space plan and (2) be generally supportive of NASA but still cut its funding. I also suspect that he would focus on NASA's near-Earth missions (shuttle, ISS, satellites) & telescopes (Hubble, NGSTs) but would scale back things like robotic explorations of the planets/asteroids/comets. I'm also basing this on a response letter I received from him a few years ago when I wrote a request letter to save the mission to Pluto. Basically, it was a well-reasoned, but disappointing response saying that the mission was not worth the cost at that time. Maybe I can dig up that letter from my files & post it here.

I didn't find anything about his space policy on his campaign website.

Any other insights?

Note: Let's try to keep this away from a political debate. I merely want to understand what his space policy would be if he were elected president.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted