Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ket bra notation, and radial momentum

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    I am told that <f|pr,g>=<prf|g> where pr is the operator for radial momentum and f and g are wavefunctions.

I know how to calculate <prf|g>, but I am not sure how to treat the comma in <f|pr,g>.

Anyone have an answer to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2
    Who was it that told you that? I've never see a comma used like that. It has no meaning to me. A wave function is in a one-to-one correspondance with a bra or a ket so I don't see what two wave functions mean in there.

Pete

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    Maybe it is a typo in the book but I am not sure. I have only
    seen commas used in kets when distinguishing between m and l values for angular momentum of a particle.

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    the letters inside a bra or ket denote the quantum numbers of that state with respect to some operator.
    the notation pr,g must just refer to 2 different quantum numbers

6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not possible...That "pr" is supposed to be [itex] \hat{p}_{r} [/itex] and not a quantum number.And besides,what quantum numbers are there for momentum??

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?