Where to Buy Kevlar Sheet in 5.5ft x 50ft Size

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about purchasing Kevlar in sheet form that is at least 5.5 feet wide and less than 50 feet in length. The suggested supplier is www.fibreglast.com, but it is mentioned that Kevlar is not inexpensive. Other options for purchasing Kevlar are also suggested, including US Composites and McMaster-Carr. The conversation also discusses the differences in cost and strength compared to other materials.
Mk
I want to buy kevlar in sheet form, it needs to be at least 5.5 feet wide, and less than 50 feet in length. Anyone know where to get kevlar and how expensive it is?

Thank you very much for your future expert or not so replies. :rofl:

Oh my god, I just broke out in laughter when I thought about putting the rofl smilie there, so I put it there. : lol, that one too.

Engineering news on Phys.org
www.fibreglast.com is a very reputable supplier and the one that I use..
Kevlar is NOT inexpensive.
The widest fabric that Fibreglast shows is 50 inch. 5 oz cloth-.010 thickness
is about 33 dollars @ yd if you buy 17 yds.
good luck
b

they are rather good smilies, aren't they?

Do you ever notice how some things that are incredibly hard to find end up being terribly cheap when you finally find a place that sells them? There probably isn't a single retail store in my city (Denver) where I could buy a sheet of Kelvar, yet, as you note, the stuff isn't that expensive.

Terribly cheap? You are looking at over $1000.00 for what you need. Compare that to E or S glass and you'll see that it is by no means "terribly cheap".

Bill said "Kevlar is NOT inexpensive" thus he said it was not cheap which is true.

Is there a real reason to use Aramid? Kevlar is not that strong or light compared to other advanced materials in its price range.

Yeah, mine costs $149 . Kevlar sheets are expensive.

Fibreglast is good, but US Composites is typically much cheaper in small quantities and would be $22/yd in 60" width for 5oz:

http://uscomposites.com/kevlar.html

I think some of us have a different view of expensive and cheap. :smile: You will also note that this is just the fabric, if you need a actual sheet you will need to add a resin and have a place to lay it up. The 635 epoxy resin from US Composities works well and it cheaper than West or System3 and will not have the air shipping restrictions like a polyester resin (like their 440) in larger quantities. But you will need a company willing to export as well, and without knowing your application...

Some people refer to http://www.pacificbulletproof.com/products/bullet-resistant-fiberglass/" , you'd mean fiberglass, but I guess you could be talkin' about what you guys are talking about.

Kevlar can get pretty expensive Mk, but some types of protection warrant the cost.

Good luck with your search Mk if you haven't found any already...I hope you have since this thread was back in 2005 (just noticed...oh well).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, Kevlar most certainly isn't fibreglass, it's an aramid fibre.

www.mcmaster.com sells a Kevlar/Nomex/Fiberglass Blend @ $3.50 per sq. ft. for 55 mil thick sheet. That's not too shabby a price.

Gokul43201 said:
www.mcmaster.com sells a Kevlar/Nomex/Fiberglass Blend @ $3.50 per sq. ft. for 55 mil thick sheet. That's not too shabby a price.
Thanks a lot, that's definitely a good price.

1. What is Kevlar sheet and what is it used for?

Kevlar sheet is a strong and lightweight material made from synthetic fibers. It is commonly used in the production of bulletproof vests, body armor, and other protective gear due to its high tensile strength and resistance to impact and abrasion.

2. Where can I buy Kevlar sheet in the size of 5.5ft x 50ft?

Kevlar sheet in the size of 5.5ft x 50ft can be purchased from various industrial and specialty stores, as well as online retailers. Some manufacturers also offer custom sizes and cuts of Kevlar sheet.

3. How much does a 5.5ft x 50ft Kevlar sheet typically cost?

The cost of a 5.5ft x 50ft Kevlar sheet can vary depending on the manufacturer, quality, and thickness of the sheet. On average, it can range from $200 to $500. However, prices may be higher or lower depending on the retailer and any additional shipping or handling fees.

4. Is it possible to cut or shape Kevlar sheet to fit my specific needs?

Yes, Kevlar sheet can be easily cut or shaped using standard cutting tools such as scissors, knives, or shears. However, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, as the cutting process can produce sharp edges and debris.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when handling Kevlar sheet?

Yes, it is recommended to wear protective gear when handling Kevlar sheet, as the fibers can cause skin irritation. It is also important to handle the sheet with care to avoid damaging the fibers, which can affect its strength and durability. Proper storage in a cool, dry place is also advised to prevent any degradation of the material.