Is Kevlar the Right Choice for Protecting Auto Fuel Tanks and Batteries?

• Thread starter Tom Flanagan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protection
In summary, Kevlar is not the most effective material for protecting a rear mounted auto fuel tank from rear impacts. It is better at stopping sharp objects and fabric tears, while crashes tend to be more of a blunt force that can cause rupture. A thick steel plate would be a better option, as seen in offroaders that use skidplates. Additionally, rear mounted fuel tanks are not a common practice in vehicles due to safety concerns.
Tom Flanagan
Would Kevlar work in protecting a rear mounted auto fuel tank from being penetrated during a rear impact (such a covering a Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Tank with Kevlar fabric or Kevlar Sheet)? How about protecting the floor pan mounted Lithium Ion Batteries in a Telsa S Sedan (I would need about 25 square feet (5' x 5') to cover the Jeep Cherokee and about 40 square feet 5' x 8') to cover the Telsa S batteries. What kind of Kevlar protection should I use? And how much would it cost for 25 or 40 square feet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I highly doubt it.

Kevlar tends to stop sharp pointy things from piercing, or fabric from tearing. Crashes tend to be more of a blunt force that causes rupture due to deformation. A nice thick steel plate would probably be a better bet. 4x4 offroaders tend to use skidplates when ground clearance is an issue for the fuel tank.

Though a rear mounting is a bloody funny place to put a fuel tank. I thought people stopped doing that after the Pinto.

What is Kevlar?

Kevlar is a synthetic material that is known for its high strength and durability. It is made from a type of plastic called poly-para-phenylene terephthalamide.

How is Kevlar used for protection?

Kevlar is used in a variety of protective gear, such as bulletproof vests, helmets, and gloves. It is also used in body armor for military and law enforcement personnel.

How is Kevlar different from other protective materials?

Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel, yet much lighter in weight. It also has a high resistance to heat and chemicals, making it a popular choice for protective gear.

Is Kevlar completely bulletproof?

Kevlar is not completely bulletproof, but it is highly effective in stopping bullets from penetrating. Its strength and flexibility allow it to absorb the impact and disperse the energy from a bullet, reducing the chances of injury.

Can Kevlar protect against other types of threats?

Kevlar can also protect against sharp objects, such as knives and blades. It is also used in the construction of tires, ropes, and other products that require high strength and durability.