Keyboard Lock-up: Causes & Solutions

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, the keyboard will lock up on rare occasions, and the only way to get it back to normal is to restart.
mathman
Science Advisor
On rare occasions, for no apparent reason, my keyboard (PC) locks - i.e. it won't respond. The only control I have then is via the mouse. To get back to normal I have to restart. Does anyone know what happened and is there a simpler way to get the keyboard back?

Computer science news on Phys.org
mathman said:
On rare occasions, for no apparent reason, my keyboard (PC) locks - i.e. it won't respond. The only control I have then is via the mouse. To get back to normal I have to restart. Does anyone know what happened and is there a simpler way to get the keyboard back?
Have you tried unplugging then inserting it back in ?

Likes RonL
Sometimes for me my PC seems to go unresponsive, and it turns out that there is a small error dialog box from whatever I was just doing, but it's hidden behind other windows. The only way I find it is to look at the pop-up task bar at the bottom of my display (at least on Windows versions up to Vista or so), to look for an error item...

Otherwise, as @Pepper Mint says, if your keyboard has a connector to your PC (USB or whatever), try just pulling it out for a few seconds and plugging it back in. :smile:

Pepper Mint said:
Have you tried unplugging then inserting it back in ?
Have you watched the "IT Crowd" :biggrin:

RonL said:
Have you watched the "IT Crowd" :biggrin:
Only some of its episodes. And I like it a lot.:micoscope:

Pepper Mint said:
Only some of its episodes. And I like it a lot.:micoscope:
The one I find hilarious is, when the boys play the "internet in a box" prank on the girl. :biggrin: If I remember the episode was titled "The Speech"

It would be helpful to know your operating system, whether or not your keyboard and mouse are wireless, and if you are using a touch pc! Anyway, check your ease of access settings for your keyboard, then find the keyboard shortcuts for enabling/disabling it (which edition you are using matters). You may find that you are hitting lock shortcuts without knowing it. This happened to me a few weeks ago, I simply disabled the option in ease of access and it stopped locking up/beeping on me! Like berkemen noted, something should pop-up on the task bar the instant this happens as a notification (right click it and disable if you can).

Likes berkeman
The computer is a notebook - IBM thinkpad. Nothing is wireless. Where do I find "ease of access"?

mathman said:
The computer is a notebook - IBM thinkpad. Nothing is wireless. Where do I find "ease of access"?
Probably depends on the OS you're running, but on my older OS its under Control Panel, Accessibility Options (wheelchair icon)...

Likes Pepper Mint
Fervent Freyja said:
check your ease of access settings for your keyboard, then find the keyboard shortcuts for enabling/disabling it
Although I'm not seeing any enable/disable options on my ThinkPad under the Accessibility Options...

Likes Fervent Freyja and Pepper Mint
mathman said:
Where do I find "ease of access"?
It's in the Control Panel on my computer...

Ease of access 2.jpg

Or, look here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ease_of_Access

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
This as far as I got. What next?
keyboardUntitled.png

mathman said:
This as far as I got. What next?
I'm not sure, I've never really messed (much) with the settings in "Ease of Access"... read post numbers, 2, 3, and 7 again, maybe?

Looks like you did find it, though...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :ok:
Where do I find "ease of access"?

Lol... for about the last ten years, I've actually been more interested in finding the answer to...
Where do I find "access of ease"?... :oldwink:
If you're still having problems, you could try looking in the Device Manager... right click on the start button, look in the "drop-up", then left click Device Manager.
If you get a User Account Control popup, click "Yes", and you should be there... look around, and at the top, click the icon that says Scan for hardware changes.

If you don't see any ! , expand Keyboards and investigate what you can... here's a screen grab.

Devices Manager.JPG

Last edited:
OCR said:
I'm not sure, I've never really messed (much) with the settings in "Ease of Access"... read post numbers, 2, 3, and 7 again, maybe?

Looks like you did find it, though...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :ok:

Lol... for about the last ten years, I've actually been more interested in finding the answer to...
If you're still having problems, you could try looking in the Device Manager... right click on the start button, look in the "drop-up", then left click Device Manager.
If you get a User Account Control popup, click "Yes", and you should be there... look around, and at the top, click the icon that says Scan for hardware changes.

If you don't see any ! , expand Keyboards and investigate what you can... here's a screen grab.

I got what you show. So what? I see noting to correct. As you can see from my previous post, there does not appear to be anything to do. I am just assuming a computer glitch.

mathman said:
I am just assuming a computer glitch.
:ok:

1. What causes keyboard lock-up?

There are several possible causes for keyboard lock-up, including hardware issues, software conflicts, and driver errors.

2. How can I troubleshoot a keyboard lock-up?

First, try restarting your computer and checking for any loose connections. If that doesn't work, try updating your keyboard drivers or running a virus scan to check for any malware. If the issue persists, it could be a hardware problem, and you may need to replace your keyboard.

3. Can low battery cause keyboard lock-up?

Yes, low battery can lead to keyboard lock-up. Make sure to replace the batteries in your wireless keyboard regularly to avoid this issue.

4. Can a spill or dirt cause keyboard lock-up?

Yes, spills or dirt on your keyboard can cause the keys to stick, resulting in lock-up. It is essential to keep your keyboard clean and avoid eating or drinking near it to prevent this issue.

5. How can I prevent keyboard lock-up in the future?

To prevent keyboard lock-up, make sure to keep your computer and keyboard clean, update your drivers regularly, and avoid any physical damage to your keyboard. It is also helpful to avoid downloading any suspicious software or files that could cause conflicts.