Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keyboard lock

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1

mathman

Science Advisor

On occasion my keyboard locks up. IBM thinkpad, Windows 7. It occurs when I am typing a message in a forum like now. Fortunately my mouse still works, so I can save the (incomplete) message and then restart the computer, freeing the keyboard. Any ideas why it is happening and is there a simpler way to free the keyboard?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Have you tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in right away? My mouse locks up at startup sometimes because I have it plugged into a docking station. It always works as soon as I do that.

4. Jul 7, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member

You should be able to use the mouse to navigate to the device controller and see if something is wonky with the keyboard driver. I think this is unlikely but it's worth a shot.

5. Jul 7, 2017 #4
  6. Jul 7, 2017 #5
    Could it be that the ctrl or alt keys have got stuck?
    It happens with well used keyboards, fluff and dirt in there (including dead skin cells).
    WD40 spray does a quick fix, but taking keys off and removing properly the gunk is best.

7. Jul 7, 2017 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

NO, please don't use WD40! It destroys some plastics by stripping out the plasticizers, leaving behind solids similiar to cookie crumbs lightly stuck together.

(Had a customer several years ago who tried that. The keyboard crumbled upon disassembly. The local community college where he taught had to replace the keyboard. [Another learning experience for him.])

8. Jul 8, 2017 #7

mathman

Science Advisor

9. Jul 27, 2017 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

is it a cabled ( USB / other) keyboard or a Bluetooth keyboard ?
    if a BT keyboard ... possibly flat battery

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted