Change Keyboard Mapping to English (UK)

In summary, to change your keyboard mapping to English (UK), you need to go to your computer's language and region settings and select English (UK) as your default language and keyboard layout. This can be done on most devices, but the steps may vary. Changing to English (UK) can improve typing efficiency and accuracy, and is useful for those who frequently communicate with people in the UK or work with British English documents. However, it may affect your current keyboard shortcuts and you may need to relearn or remap them. You can switch back to your previous mapping at any time, but it may take some readjustment.
888eddy
i have a english (uk) keyboard but my computer has the keyboard mapping set to english (us). does anyone know how i can change it to english (uk)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
In Windows, you can go to control panel and check your keyboard settings and change the layout there.

Here's more information in-case that is inadequate: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/kbdfaq.mspx

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend accessing your computer's settings or control panel to change the keyboard mapping to English (UK). This can typically be found under the language or keyboard settings. Alternatively, you can also consult your computer's manual or do a quick internet search for step-by-step instructions on how to change the keyboard mapping on your specific device. It is important to ensure that your keyboard mapping matches your physical keyboard to avoid any confusion or difficulty while typing.

1. How do I change my keyboard mapping to English (UK)?

To change your keyboard mapping to English (UK), you will need to go to your computer's language and region settings. From there, you can select English (UK) as your default language and keyboard layout. This will change the mapping of your keyboard keys to match the UK standard.

2. Can I change my keyboard mapping to English (UK) on any device?

Yes, you can change your keyboard mapping to English (UK) on most devices, including laptops, desktop computers, and mobile devices. However, the exact steps may vary depending on the device and operating system you are using.

3. Why would I want to change my keyboard mapping to English (UK)?

If you are used to typing in the UK standard and are currently using a different keyboard mapping, changing to English (UK) can improve your typing efficiency and accuracy. It can also be useful if you frequently communicate with people in the UK or work with documents in British English.

4. Will changing my keyboard mapping to English (UK) affect my current keyboard shortcuts?

Yes, changing your keyboard mapping to English (UK) may affect your current keyboard shortcuts. This is because different keyboard layouts have different key combinations for certain characters. You may need to relearn some shortcuts or remap them to fit the new keyboard mapping.

5. Can I switch back to my previous keyboard mapping after changing to English (UK)?

Yes, you can switch back to your previous keyboard mapping at any time. You can simply go back to your language and region settings and select your preferred keyboard mapping. However, keep in mind that this may affect your keyboard shortcuts and it may take some time to readjust to your previous mapping.