What is the Formation Constant of Iron(III) Thiocyanate?

• Thread starter phizuks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation constant for the reaction Fe3+ + HSCN <--> H+ + FeSCN2+ and the different expressions used to calculate it. The conversation also mentions the use of a nitric acid solution to prevent a different reaction and the potential impact of H+ on the equilibrium.
phizuks
Hello,

Does anyone know the formation constant for the reaction
Fe3+ + HSCN <--> H+ + FeSCN2+

I've looked through my textbook with no luck, and I have been googling for a while. I'm writing a lab writeup right now, and I need it to compare my values to the accepted values.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Six constants, as there are six steps of complex formation:

log K1 = 3.02
log K2 = 4.64
log K3 = 5.0
log K4 = 6.3
log K5 = 6.2
log K6 = 6.1

(these are overall constants, like:

K5 = [Fe(SCN)5(2-)]/([Fe(3+)][SCN-]^5)

and so on)

H

I guess this lab is pretty common for freshman chem. I had the report for this due last week. My lab manual gave the expression [H+][FeSCN2+]/[Fe3+][HSCN] but my professor gave the other one(without H).

The reaction was carried out in a .5M nitric acid solution to prevent this reaction:Fe3+(aq) + 3OH-(aq) --> Fe(OH)3. You don't have SCN- ions in solution b/c of the large amount of H+ and the small amount of HSCN. (HSCN <-->H+ + SCN-, shifted to the left by addition of H+) You have Fe3+ in solution, not Fe(NO3)3 b/c that compound dissociates to a large degree but HSCN is a weak acid.

I think my thoughts here make sense. I guess I'll find out when I get my grade.

PS Nice to see someone from Poland, Borek.:smile: Both of my parents are from Poland and I can speak Polish fluently.

On one website, it said that the H+ makes no difference in the equilibrium..but that doesn't make much sense. Someone please explain. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for Iron(III)Thiocyanate?

The formula for Iron(III)Thiocyanate is Fe(SCN)3.

2. What is the molar mass of Iron(III)Thiocyanate?

The molar mass of Iron(III)Thiocyanate is approximately 233.08 g/mol.

3. What is the solubility of Iron(III)Thiocyanate?

Iron(III)Thiocyanate is slightly soluble in water, with a solubility of approximately 0.5 g/100 mL at room temperature.

4. How is the Kf value of Iron(III)Thiocyanate determined?

The Kf value of Iron(III)Thiocyanate is determined by measuring the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products in a reaction between Iron(III) ions and Thiocyanate ions. The ratio of the product concentrations to the reactant concentrations is then used to calculate the Kf value.

5. What is the significance of the Kf value for Iron(III)Thiocyanate?

The Kf value for Iron(III)Thiocyanate is an important measure of the stability of the compound. It indicates the strength of the bond between the Iron(III) ion and the Thiocyanate ion, and can also be used to predict the behavior of the compound in different reactions and conditions.