1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kf of Iron(III)Thiocyanate?

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1

Does anyone know the formation constant for the reaction
    Fe3+ + HSCN <--> H+ + FeSCN2+

I've looked through my text book with no luck, and I have been googling for a while. I'm writing a lab writeup right now, and I need it to compare my values to the accepted values.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Six constants, as there are six steps of complex formation:

log K1 = 3.02
    log K2 = 4.64
    log K3 = 5.0
    log K4 = 6.3
    log K5 = 6.2
    log K6 = 6.1

(these are overall constants, like:

K5 = [Fe(SCN)5(2-)]/([Fe(3+)][SCN-]^5)

and so on)
  4. Oct 23, 2005 #3

I guess this lab is pretty common for freshman chem. I had the report for this due last week. My lab manual gave the expression [H+][FeSCN2+]/[Fe3+][HSCN] but my professor gave the other one(without H).

The reaction was carried out in a .5M nitric acid solution to prevent this reaction:Fe3+(aq) + 3OH-(aq) --> Fe(OH)3. You don't have SCN- ions in solution b/c of the large amount of H+ and the small amount of HSCN. (HSCN <-->H+ + SCN-, shifted to the left by addition of H+) You have Fe3+ in solution, not Fe(NO3)3 b/c that compound dissociates to a large degree but HSCN is a weak acid.

I think my thoughts here make sense. I guess I'll find out when I get my grade.

PS Nice to see someone from Poland, Borek.:smile: Both of my parents are from Poland and I can speak Polish fluently.
  5. Oct 23, 2005 #4
    On one website, it said that the H+ makes no difference in the equilibrium..but that doesn't make much sense. Someone please explain. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?