Calculating Kg Force for Generating 1 Watt of EMF in Magnetic Generators

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic generators and how they work. The speaker asks for assistance in determining the amount of kg force needed to spin the magnets in order to generate 1 watt for 1 second. It is mentioned that the torque needed may vary depending on the design of the generator and the speed at which it is spun. The speaker also shares a helpful resource on torque and mentions their lack of familiarity with the subject. They plan to return once they have more information.
barendfaber
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me. Looking at magnetic generators, we spin the magnets around which will induce an EMF. This EMF will create a magnetic field opposite that of the magnets, thereby creating a drag. If I had to generate 1 watt for 1 second, how much kg force will I need to spin the magnets forward for that second?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the design of the generator, of course, how many windings you have, how many turns each, etc.

Assuming 100% efficiency, power in = power out, and Power=torque X speed...so, depending how fast you want to spin the generator, the torque needed may vary to achieve the 1W output that you want.

In any case, you may benefit from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly new to all of of this, been a good few years since I was in school, so most of this I have already forgotten. I am waiting for another post to be answered, which will help me to determine most of the detail above, I will be back once I know more.

1. What is the concept of "Kg force of emf induced"?

The Kg force of emf induced refers to the force exerted on a charged particle, usually in kilograms (Kg), due to the presence of an electromagnetic field (emf). This force is directly proportional to the charge of the particle and the strength of the emf.

2. How is the Kg force of emf induced calculated?

The Kg force of emf induced can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force in kilograms, q is the charge of the particle in coulombs (C), and E is the strength of the emf in volts per meter (V/m). This formula is known as the Lorentz force law.

3. What factors affect the Kg force of emf induced?

The Kg force of emf induced is affected by the charge of the particle, the strength of the emf, and the direction of the particle's motion relative to the direction of the emf. Additionally, the mass of the particle, as well as its velocity, can also impact the force.

4. How does the Kg force of emf induced relate to electromagnetic induction?

The Kg force of emf induced is a result of electromagnetic induction, which occurs when a changing magnetic field induces an emf in a conductor. This force is responsible for the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in generators and motors.

5. Why is the Kg force of emf induced important in the study of electricity and magnetism?

The Kg force of emf induced is an essential concept in the study of electricity and magnetism as it helps explain the behavior of charged particles in the presence of electromagnetic fields. It is also crucial in understanding the functioning of various electrical devices, such as generators, motors, and transformers.