Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kg force of emf induced

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me. Looking at magnetic generators, we spin the magnets around which will induce an EMF. This EMF will create a magnetic field opposite that of the magnets, thereby creating a drag. If I had to generate 1 watt for 1 second, how much kg force will I need to spin the magnets forward for that second?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2
    It depends on the design of the generator, of course, how many windings you have, how many turns each, etc.

Assuming 100% efficiency, power in = power out, and Power=torque X speed...so, depending how fast you want to spin the generator, the torque needed may vary to achieve the 1W output that you want.

In any case, you may benefit from reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    I'm fairly new to all of of this, been a good few years since I was in school, so most of this I have already forgotten. I am waiting for another post to be answered, which will help me to determine most of the detail above, I will be back once I know more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook