Convert 60kg to kgf: Help from Physics Forums

• Thread starter hakingpawns
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the weight of a 60kg man in kgf when the local gravity is 9.6m/s^2, you can use the formula Weight = Mass * Acceleration due to gravity. To convert from Newtons to kgf, use the conversion factor 1 kgf = 9.80665 N. Using these calculations, the weight of the man in kgf is approximately 58.8kgf. This problem was solved with the help of Doc Al and 1994Bhaskar.
hakingpawns
Hello guys from Physics Forums... I got a little problem here..

"Weight of a 60kg man in kgf if the local gravity is 9.6m/s^2"

I got no idea what to do..
I tried 60x 9.6m/s^2
but my teacher said that it was wrong...
I'd really appreciate any help I'll get
and thank you in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight=Mass*Acceleration due to gravity=m*g
Assuming 60kg weight at 9.8 m/s^2 calculate mass m(60/9.8=6.122)). This will give mass.Now multiply mass by 9.6 to get kgf or weight for that place(6.122*9.6=58.775). Use results in significant figures if needed.

Thanks~ now I get it

hakingpawns said:
"Weight of a 60kg man in kgf if the local gravity is 9.6m/s^2"

I got no idea what to do..
I tried 60x 9.6m/s^2
That gives you the weight in Newtons. To convert from Newtons to kgf, use: 1 kgf = 9.80665 N

So that's how you get the unit KGF..
now I understand more :) thanks a lot! Doc Al & 1994Bhaskar ^_^

so more likely it's
9.6/9.8x60=58.8kgfproblem [SOLVED]
admins/mods you can close the thread now if you want ^_^

1. How do I convert 60kg to kgf?

To convert from kilograms (kg) to kilograms-force (kgf), you can simply multiply the mass in kilograms by the standard acceleration due to gravity, 9.8 m/s^2. In this case, 60kg would be equal to 60 x 9.8 = 588 kgf.

2. What is the difference between kilograms and kilograms-force?

Kilograms (kg) are a unit of mass, while kilograms-force (kgf) are a unit of force. Mass is a measurement of the amount of matter in an object, while force is a measurement of the push or pull on an object. Kilograms-force are typically used in physics and engineering to describe the weight or force of an object due to gravity.

3. Can I convert kgf to kg?

Yes, you can convert kilograms-force (kgf) to kilograms (kg) by dividing the force in kgf by the standard acceleration due to gravity, 9.8 m/s^2. For example, if you have 1000 kgf, you would divide by 9.8 to get 102.04 kg.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between kg and kgf?

It is important to understand the difference between kg and kgf in order to accurately calculate and measure forces in physics and engineering. Using the incorrect unit can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially dangerous situations.

5. Are there any other units for force besides kgf?

Yes, there are several other units for force, including newtons (N), pounds-force (lbf), and dynes (dyn). These units are commonly used in different fields of science and engineering, so it is important to be familiar with them and understand how to convert between them.