Khan Academy Videos

• Thread starter HuaYongLi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm wondering if anyone else has came across this site, its covers a wide range of maths topics and some physics as well. The lessons are in a video format and are hosted on Youtube.
http://www.khanacademy.org/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I have just looked at a couple of them.Good stuff.

they are awesome

I stumbled upon them as well. There were some really helpful video's. Difficulty ranges from easy (simple arithmetic) to, I'd say, quite advanced (differential equations etc).

Khan is the best. I've been watching him for a year now... He's doing Biology, chemistry, finance, etc... He also made it on CNN by being known for his teaching ability on youtube

Yes, this contains really helpful videos covering a variety of topics in math and sciences such as physics, chemistry and biology.

Cod
I found the site earlier this year when doing a research paper on Genghis Khan. Khan Academy is definitely one of the best "tutoring" sites on the net and they are constantly updating the site with new lessons on an assortment of topics.

dump
Wow.... Thank you very much for shearing this! :-)

Great great stuff, highly recommended for everybody. This is how I learned calculus and I can effectively apply calculus to numerous problems now.

Very, very nice. I've been looking for a resource like this forever.

Oh that's great . very good stuff. i am going to pass it on to my friends .
i have never come across like this.

Char. Limit
Gold Member
Sorry to revive a twelve-day-old thread, but I want his to be brought up again.

Khan Academy is easily one of the best learning resources online. It is the reason I know about partial derivatives, gradients, and double integrals. I'm looking into differential equations now, and Salman Khan explains it in such a way that I immediately see what he says.

Definitely worth mentioning.

This is a fabulous resource!!

This is where I learned calculus from last month. After a bit more practice, on to differential equations!

Personally, this site was awesome for everything up to calculus. I mean, this site changed my life for the clarity of all of the math on it, but the calculus stuff just wasn't adequate.

I couldn't do related rates problems after watching these videos, I got very confused by limits & didn't realise how simple they were (in the calculus sense - although the epsilon-delta explanation is brilliant) and a few more issues.

If you want a comparison, watch some of the videos on this site & compare/contrast the level of difficulty.

http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/index.html

Especially the related rates problem on this one, I mean it still scares me...

That said, I'll always tell people I really went to university @ KhanAcademy :p

I found khanacademy to be pretty good for calculus. After a good amount of worksheets, I was able to do about 3/4 of the BC Calculus exam in my head(and I'm a very slow minded person) but I'm very disappointed that he didn't talk about differentiating or integrating parametric or polar equations, which are pretty big parts of them.

The link you gave is a very good resource for single variable calculus. I'm watching the video on polar coordinates and it's gonna be fuuuun!

Char. Limit
Gold Member
I actually find related rates and optimization the toughest part of single-variable calculus.

Those problems are insanely hard....

Until you realise the derivative is always with respect to time, (always resulting in an implicit differentiation)....

Most of the time you are using the Pythagorean theorem or something like the radius/volume.

That knowledge, to look for what is changing with time & what is the geometrical shape that is varying is really all you need, well that's all I've seen in single variable :redface:

Great find! This site has 4 of my 6 courses in it! I am stoked, thanks!

Yes. This website is very good!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CNN is running a story about Khan and his academy. Great stuff indeed!

Char. Limit
Gold Member
Could you find a link? I'd really like to see that story...

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5VKiG_IXE

Char. Limit
Gold Member
I give applause.

A well-written story about a fantastic man. Nothing wrong here.