Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kicked out

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    So, don't expect me around too much for a bit. my parents kicked me out today. I'm gonna hopefully stay with some friends. I don't really have access to a good computer, so ya.... i'll see you all in a bit, just didn't want anyone to get worried when i was gone... didn't want any rumors being spread around either... heh.. caio

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Gale, please keep in touch with us!! Are you going to be ok?

4. May 30, 2005 #3
    i'll be fine. I'm a resourceful girl. this is the first time i've been "kicked out" but we've fought a lot before, and i've left for a few days. i can live out of my car easily enough, and i have some friends i can stay with for a while, and worse case senario, i can make them let me move back seeing as i'm only 17. i'll be fine... its an adventure....

5. May 30, 2005 #4

Evo

Please let us know if you need anything.

6. May 30, 2005 #5
    Wow, that sucks. Are they kicking you out permanently? Are they still going to pay for college? Or was your scholarship enough anyway?

7. May 30, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oo, adventure! :smile:

Give auntie Evo a shout if you get stuck. And yeah, we know you're all resourceful and will be fine and everything, but be careful! Don't forget your pillow, and your towel.

8. May 30, 2005 #7
    This sucks. I hope it doesn't last long.

9. May 30, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't know parents could evict minor children.

10. May 30, 2005 #9

Evo

I don't think they can. The problem here is that if Gale went to the authorities, they would call in social services and that could get really ugly. They could take Gale into protective custody. That would stink.

My main concern is your safety, please stay with friends or family until your parents cool off. You have the right to be in your parent's home and can go there any time. They would not harm you, would they?

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  11. May 30, 2005 #10
    In the Uk, you can be evicted on your 16th birthday! Sadly this has happened to several children that I have taught. All of them were girls. In the Uk this is due to benefit for a child stopping when they reach 16, and also stepfathers who don't want a '*****' daughter at home.

Life sucks sometimes. Gail, I hope all goes well. Keep in touch with PF, and I hope that all goes well.

12. May 30, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, geez, Gale, that sucks. Yeah, doesn't help much to go to the authorities about it since you'd be 18 by the time sorted anything out anyway (unless, of course, you wind up without a place to stay...a 17 year old sleeping in her car doesn't sound like the best of options. Please be safe Gale. I hope you'll check in from time to time...use the public library computers even...just to let us know you're okay. If you feel you're in any danger at all or can't find a safe place to stay, let us know. There are plenty of people here who can help you locate safe places to go.

13. May 30, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, you forgot to close that bracket. Allow me. )

Yeah Gale, if you're reading, don't kip in your car. At least steal a tent and camp on your parents' lawn or something. That'll teach 'em. Besides, sleeping in a car is fegging freezing.

14. May 30, 2005 #13
    That's just terrible Gale. It's good to see that you don't seem terribly defeated by it, that would probably put a hitch in your getting on. Be careful where you go and the people you trust. Make sure to have something on you to use for protection just incase. Nick a maglite or something from your parents if needs be.
    Take care. Hope to see you back and everything going well soon.

15. May 30, 2005 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Gale, I completely understand your situation! My advice? GET LEGALLY EMANCIPATED!! This way you can sign for your college loans and not rely on them should they decide to hold a grudge. At 17, I sought to get emancipated, but my mother begged me not too. One month later, she told me to leave (I still had a year of high school left) and never got emancipated. When college came around, I couldn't get my parents to sign my financial aid papers, thus couldn't afford college because I had to support myself completely.

I wish you lots of luck sweetie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?