Understanding the Impact of Partial Renal Artery Occlusion on Kidney Function

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the partial occlusion of one renal artery is likely to result in a constriction of the efferent arteriole of the other kidney. This is due to a reduced pressure in the afferent arteriole, which stimulates renin release and leads to increased angiotensin II and aldosterone levels. As a result, both efferent arterioles will be constricted.
nokia8650
i was struggling with the following question:

Partial occlusion of one renal artery is likely to result in which ONE of the following:
A. Increased renin secretion from both kidneys
B. Increased sodium excretion
C. Constriction of the efferent arteriole of the other kidney
D. Dilatation of the efferent arteriole of the other kidney
E. A gradual reduction in arterial blood pressure over time

Please could someone explain the answer?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it is C. The reduced pressure in the afferent arteriole in the kidney stimulates renin release by the affected kidney, which increases circulating angiotensin II and aldosterone. I'm pretty sure the efferent arteriole constriction is mediated by angiotensin II so both efferents will be constricted.

1. What is the function of the kidneys?

The kidneys are responsible for filtering waste products and excess fluids from the blood. They also help regulate electrolyte levels and produce hormones that control blood pressure and red blood cell production.

2. What is glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and why is it important?

GFR is a measure of how well the kidneys are filtering waste products from the blood. It is an important indicator of kidney function and can help diagnose kidney diseases or monitor their progression.

3. How does the body maintain electrolyte balance with the help of the kidneys?

The kidneys play a crucial role in maintaining electrolyte balance by filtering excess electrolytes from the blood and excreting them in the urine. They also reabsorb important electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium, to maintain a proper balance in the body.

4. What are some common signs and symptoms of kidney dysfunction?

Some common signs and symptoms of kidney dysfunction include changes in urination patterns, swelling in the hands and feet, fatigue, nausea, and changes in appetite.

5. How can I keep my kidneys healthy?

To keep your kidneys healthy, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle by staying hydrated, eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. It is also important to monitor and manage any underlying health conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, that can affect kidney function.