Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kidney Osomoregulation

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    i'm going to show how the kidney responds to dehydration. I'm not sure if its right so please correct me of any errors.

Ok suppose u eat something salty like patato chips. The Na+ gets absorbed in the bloodstream causing the normal water concentration to go down. The lowering of the water concentration signals ADH which causes reabsorption of water from collecting tubule to the bloodstream. This reabsorpation then causes the water concentration the the bloodstream to go back up again.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2
    I think that more than just the kidneys are involved in sodium regulation - even with non-functioning kidneys your body seems to be able to keep Na+ at around 140 mmol/litre. Now potassium that's a different matter.

4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    I would like to know whats the difference between osomitc blood presure and blood pressure? are they the same thing?

I would also like to know how the body reacts to each?

I read that if osmotic blood pressure is high that means too much salt is in the blood and not enough water. If this is true what is causing the high blood pressure in "HIGH osomotic blood pressure"? I dont understand this because if there isnt enough water in the bloodstream than veins wouldn't be lareger than normal size. Wouldnt they infact be samller in size?

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    aren't aldosterone and renin involved in salt retention and blood pressure?

6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    They are but i'm concerned with how someone can have high osomtic blood pressure which means(i think) not having enough water and too much salt. Wouldnt not having enough enough water in your blood NOT cause presure. Or...Does high osmotic pressure refer to what will happen: that the blood with try to retain more water to dilute all the Na in it(that makes sense to me). But then again....all that has to happen to begin with to solve this problem is to inhibit aldolsterone which will stop Na reabsorption.....

7. Jun 14, 2005 #6
    I think the idea is that having high salt in the blood will osmotically pull more water into the blood from surrounding tissues, therefore increasing the volume of blood, therefore raising the pressure of the blood...

8. Jun 14, 2005 #7
    Yea. Thats how it works. Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?