Dehydration and Kidney Osmoregulation: Understanding the Response to Salty Foods

• Thread starter undertow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the kidney's response to dehydration and the role of ADH in reabsorbing water from the collecting tubule to the bloodstream. The difference between osmotic blood pressure and regular blood pressure is also mentioned, with one being influenced by the amount of salt and water in the blood. The conversation also touches on the involvement of aldosterone and renin in salt retention and blood pressure. Overall, the conversation explores the relationship between salt, water, and blood pressure in the body.
undertow
i'm going to show how the kidney responds to dehydration. I'm not sure if its right so please correct me of any errors.

Ok suppose u eat something salty like patato chips. The Na+ gets absorbed in the bloodstream causing the normal water concentration to go down. The lowering of the water concentration signals ADH which causes reabsorption of water from collecting tubule to the bloodstream. This reabsorpation then causes the water concentration the the bloodstream to go back up again.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think that more than just the kidneys are involved in sodium regulation - even with non-functioning kidneys your body seems to be able to keep Na+ at around 140 mmol/litre. Now potassium that's a different matter.

I would like to know what's the difference between osomitc blood presure and blood pressure? are they the same thing?

I would also like to know how the body reacts to each?

I read that if osmotic blood pressure is high that means too much salt is in the blood and not enough water. If this is true what is causing the high blood pressure in "HIGH osomotic blood pressure"? I don't understand this because if there isn't enough water in the bloodstream than veins wouldn't be lareger than normal size. Wouldnt they infact be samller in size?

aren't aldosterone and renin involved in salt retention and blood pressure?

They are but I'm concerned with how someone can have high osomtic blood pressure which means(i think) not having enough water and too much salt. Wouldnt not having enough enough water in your blood NOT cause presure. Or...Does high osmotic pressure refer to what will happen: that the blood with try to retain more water to dilute all the Na in it(that makes sense to me). But then again...all that has to happen to begin with to solve this problem is to inhibit aldolsterone which will stop Na reabsorption...

I think the idea is that having high salt in the blood will osmotically pull more water into the blood from surrounding tissues, therefore increasing the volume of blood, therefore raising the pressure of the blood...

Yea. Thats how it works. Thanks for your help

1. What is dehydration and how does it affect the body?

Dehydration is a condition where the body does not have enough fluids to function properly. This can occur due to not drinking enough water, excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea. Dehydration can lead to symptoms such as thirst, dry mouth, fatigue, dizziness, and confusion.

2. How do the kidneys regulate water balance in the body?

The kidneys play a crucial role in maintaining water balance in the body. They filter the blood and remove excess water and waste products, which are then excreted as urine. The kidneys also produce hormones that regulate the body's water retention, such as antidiuretic hormone (ADH) and aldosterone.

3. How does the body respond to consuming salty foods?

When we consume salty foods, our body responds by increasing the concentration of salt in the blood. This triggers the release of ADH, which signals the kidneys to conserve water and produce concentrated urine. This helps to maintain the body's water balance and prevent dehydration.

4. Can dehydration be prevented by consuming more salt?

No, consuming excess salt will not prevent dehydration. In fact, consuming too much salt can lead to an increase in blood pressure and put a strain on the kidneys. It is important to maintain a balanced and healthy diet, drink enough water, and avoid excessive salt intake to prevent dehydration.

5. What are some ways to stay hydrated and maintain kidney health?

To stay hydrated and maintain kidney health, it is important to drink enough water throughout the day. Consuming a balanced and healthy diet with adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables can also help to maintain kidney function. Avoiding excessive salt intake, limiting alcohol consumption, and staying physically active are also important factors in maintaining kidney health.