Kidney stones

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member
You should start collecting them and put them in a display. You could make the world's smallest museum.

You should start collecting them and put them in a display. You could make the world's smallest museum.
I've got about 20 in a small case. I thought I might make a necklace out of them.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Awesome!

This is the only thread I've ever read on PF that has made me cringe.

I just passed another kidney stone, the first since September. For the first time in my life, I passed a stone all the way through to the bladder without any sensation whatever. It was .3 cm in diameter and with a very smooth surface. Up till now, my stones have always had a jagged crystaline surface.

Jimmysnyder

I notice that your stones appear in the warmer months. I went through that for a number of summers. My Doc finally sent one in for analysis. It was a calcium oxalate stone. They have the very rough surface.

To help prevent oxalate stones there are a few foods and drinks to avoid. Among them are tea and colas.

When I first started having the stones and before one was analysed my doctor told me to drink plenty of fluids, and I did, I drank a lot of iced tea and cola.:yuck:

Most stones are calcium based yet ironically being low on calcium can cause kidney stones.

I notice that your stones appear in the warmer months. I went through that for a number of summers.
Thanks edward, I hadn't noticed that angle, I will keep an eye on it. I had an ultrasound test about 2 months ago and 6 stones were found in my kidneys. Today's is likely one of the them. I have had several of my stones sent off to the FBI to find out what they were made of. Basically it's calcium and uric acid. This last one is different so I will probably get it analysed too. Also, I have had extensive tests to determine the root cause of the problem but with no result. I don't know what to do about preventing them, and I no longer treat treat them but just take the pain when it comes. Like I said, this one not only gave me no pain, I had no clue I was passing it until it was in my bladder.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you let yourself get dehydrated during the summer? Perhaps you should drink more than the average amount of water? Sometimes that can help reduce stones for those prone to them. Do you drink tea or iced tea? If so, avoid that...tea can worsen stones for those prone to them (I have a friend who had that problem...she's from the south and would drink LOTS of iced tea in summer, and had to give that up when she started having problems with kidney stones).

I'm going in Tuesday for another procedure. This time there's a stone that got almost all the way down the ureter from the kidney, but got stuck about 1 cm from the bladder. The doctor wants to go in there and pull it out. Meanwhile, there are about a dozen stones of various sizes still in my kidney. The largest is 1.2 cm. I've been taking a drug called rapaflo which is normally prescribed for prostate problems. However, it has been found to help in situations like mine where a stone gets stuck in the ureter. Unfortunately, the drug did not ease the stone out and so the procedure. Now for the too much information part - they won't cut me.

Evo
Mentor
I'm going in Tuesday for another procedure. This time there's a stone that got almost all the way down the ureter from the kidney, but got stuck about 1 cm from the bladder. The doctor wants to go in there and pull it out. Meanwhile, there are about a dozen stones of various sizes still in my kidney. The largest is 1.2 cm. I've been taking a drug called rapaflo which is normally prescribed for prostate problems. However, it has been found to help in situations like mine where a stone gets stuck in the ureter. Unfortunately, the drug did not ease the stone out and so the procedure. Now for the too much information part - they won't cut me.
Oh my, you must be in terrible pain!

I thought they could blow those up with lasers?

Oh my, you must be in terrible pain!

I thought they could blow those up with lasers?
This stone was very painful when it was on the move a few months ago. However, since it got stuck it hasn't caused me pain. However, it does cause constant irritation. The plan is to either literally pull it out using something called a basket, or failing that, to cut it into smaller pieces with a laser. Ultrasound is out because the stone has been irritating me for so long that the tube material is in bad shape. Ultrasound can shake the stone rather violently and that may damage the tube. After the stone is out, a stent goes in. I have had a stent before and it was nearly as painful in its way as the stone itself. I wasn't able to make water without first taking a pain killer.

Evo
Mentor
This stone was very painful when it was on the move a few months ago. However, since it got stuck it hasn't caused me pain. However, it does cause constant irritation. The plan is to either literally pull it out using something called a basket, or failing that, to cut it into smaller pieces with a laser. Ultrasound is out because the stone has been irritating me for so long that the tube material is in bad shape. Ultrasound can shake the stone rather violently and that may damage the tube. After the stone is out, a stent goes in. I have had a stent before and it was nearly as painful in its way as the stone itself. I wasn't able to make water without first taking a pain killer.
Oh you poor thing! :frown: There just is no happy scenario.

If I was religious, you'd be in my prayers. I hope your lovely wife and wonderful children are pampering you.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Jimmy I'm so sorry...that's just painful to read. I hope it's better soon!

I hope your lovely wife and wonderful children are pampering you.
You mean more than usual? Thanks yes. My son is even doing his homework without waiting for me to ask him.

I have suffered from stones my entire life. I happen to have a stone right now in my kidney but it is not causing me any pain. Due to its location they aren't doing anything until it moves.

I wish I could tell you what to do with the stones but I have no clue. Mine are calcium stones and yet I am calcium deficient. In fact, my calcium has been so low for so long that I am now 34 and have osteoporosis. So obviously reducing calcium is not an option for me.

Good luck.

I have suffered from stones my entire life. I happen to have a stone right now in my kidney but it is not causing me any pain. Due to its location they aren't doing anything until it moves.

I wish I could tell you what to do with the stones but I have no clue. Mine are calcium stones and yet I am calcium deficient. In fact, my calcium has been so low for so long that I am now 34 and have osteoporosis. So obviously reducing calcium is not an option for me.

Good luck.
Good luck to you too. Obviously, I can't give you medical advice. However, I think it's safe to say that you should see a urologist periodically to see if your stone is growing too large. I went through a period of about 5 years during which I was passing stones about 2 a year without pain and so I didn't see the urologist about them. Then I had a painful one and the x-ray revealed that behind it was a 1-inch diameter stone that had grown in the kidney.

I had extensive, but inconclusive tests about 10 years ago to determine why I produce so many stones. My urologist said he wants to investigate again and there was a set to his teeth that told me he was serious this time.

Evo
Mentor
Good luck to you too. Obviously, I can't give you medical advice. However, I think it's safe to say that you should see a urologist periodically to see if your stone is growing too large. I went through a period of about 5 years during which I was passing stones about 2 a year without pain and so I didn't see the urologist about them. Then I had a painful one and the x-ray revealed that behind it was a 1-inch diameter stone that had grown in the kidney.

I had extensive, but inconclusive tests about 10 years ago to determine why I produce so many stones. My urologist said he wants to investigate again and there was a set to his teeth that told me he was serious this time.
The pain men feel is a hundred times worse than women, from what I hear.

The pain men feel is a hundred times worse than women, from what I hear.
I can vouch for that. Oh, wait a minute, no I can't. A hundred might be too much though. Just by coincidence, my mother passed a kidney stone while she was still in the hospital having given birth to me. She always said that her stone pain was worse than the pain of childbirth.

Evo
Mentor
GREG! When you move a thread, please leave a redirect!

I fixed it.

Do you drink enough water?

@Jimmy. If your comment was directed to me, then rest assured I see a urologist and a nephrologist on a regular basis. Kidney stones is just the beginning of my urinary tract problems.

As far as it being worse for men, I am not sure how one could determine that. As no man knows what a woman feels and no woman knows what a man feels. Personally, I have passed out and stayed out due to the pain of a stone. Not sure how it can get much worse than that. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Evo
Mentor
@Jimmy. If your comment was directed to me, then rest assured I see a urologist and a nephrologist on a regular basis. Kidney stones is just the beginning of my urinary tract problems.

As far as it being worse for men, I am not sure how one could determine that. As no man knows what a woman feels and no woman knows what a man feels. Personally, I have passed out and stayed out due to the pain of a stone. Not sure how it can get much worse than that. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Sorry to hear of your problems Louise, I hope that you can find some relief.

I think it's the anatomy of men. The stone, if passed naturally, has a bit farther to go through a very narrow tube in a very sensitive part of the male. So maybe they have a point.

I think it's the anatomy of men. The stone, if passed naturally, has a bit farther to go through a very narrow tube in a very sensitive part of the male. So maybe they have a point.
The passage through the 'sensitive part' is painless, the pain is during the passage through the ureter, the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I think that's the same in men and women. Perhaps I'll get a sex change operation and settle the matter once and for all.

turbo
Gold Member
The passage through the 'sensitive part' is painless, the pain is during the passage through the ureter, the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I think that's the same in men and women. Perhaps I'll get a sex change operation and settle the matter once and for all.
I can vouch for that, Jimmy. I once passed a stone on a long road-trip from Atlanta to Dothan, AL. I commandeered the front passenger seat of the Caddy so I could slide it back and get all the leg-room I could muster. I had an early morning presentation to management, but was in no shape to pull it off. I got my project manager to buy me a lot of beer, and I drank beer and resisted urinating until I felt about to explode. Finally, I had to let it go, and never heard such a pleasing sound as that "tink" as the stone hit the porcelain. I was a bit hung-over during my presentation, but at least I was there and not in pain.