Kidney stones

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
The passage through the 'sensitive part' is painless, the pain is during the passage through the ureter, the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I think that's the same in men and women. Perhaps I'll get a sex change operation and settle the matter once and for all.

This confirms what my doctor says. He insists the pain comes from it temporary blocking urine from passing through the ureters. He says without the blockage, you would not feel anything, which is why I do not feel most of my stones. I have large ureters and thus the stones can pass through them with ease.

This confirms what my doctor says. He insists the pain comes from it temporary blocking urine from passing through the ureters. He says without the blockage, you would not feel anything, which is why I do not feel most of my stones. I have large ureters and thus the stones can pass through them with ease.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the intense pain of a kidney stone is caused by the blockage of the ureter. However, I've been told that if the stone scrapes along as it goes, that can cause pain too. The urethra, the tube from the bladder to the outside has a larger diameter and that's why it doesn't hurt there. I had a stone that caused severe blockage on my right side about a decade ago and as a result the ureter ballooned out to 4 times its normal diameter. It never shrank back down so stones that pass on that side do so painlessly. Today I had my stone removed by snaking a laser to the site and using it to slice up the stone. Until today, I thought that the term lithotripsy refered to the breaking up of kidney stones by means of ultrasound. However, my doctor told me that lithotripsy just means stone breaking and today's procedure was called laser lithotripsy. He removed the stone and put a stent in its place. As a result, I have to go back to his office in a week to have it removed. The stent is no picnic and while the pain is not as intense, it is the same kind of pain as the stone.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the intense pain of a kidney stone is caused by the blockage of the ureter. However, I've been told that if the stone scrapes along as it goes, that can cause pain too. The urethra, the tube from the bladder to the outside has a larger diameter and that's why it doesn't hurt there. I had a stone that caused severe blockage on my right side about a decade ago and as a result the ureter ballooned out to 4 times its normal diameter. It never shrank back down so stones that pass on that side do so painlessly. Today I had my stone removed by snaking a laser to the site and using it to slice up the stone. Until today, I thought that the term lithotripsy refered to the breaking up of kidney stones by means of ultrasound. However, my doctor told me that lithotripsy just means stone breaking and today's procedure was called laser lithotripsy. He removed the stone and put a stent in its place. As a result, I have to go back to his office in a week to have it removed. The stent is no picnic and while the pain is not as intense, it is the same kind of pain as the stone.

Oh wow, that sounds like a horrible experience - so sorry, Jimmy! I hope they gave you good drugs, and also that the removal goes smoothly.

If I remember correctly, there is a tiny string attached to the stent. All they have to do is grab the string and pull it out. Again, if I remember correctly, it can be done in the doctors office without any anesthesia

Evo
Mentor
If I remember correctly, there is a tiny string attached to the stent. All they have to do is grab the string and pull it out. Again, if I remember correctly, it can be done in the doctors office without any anesthesia
:eek:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dembadon
Gold Member

:bugeye: *passes out*

I hope the procedure goes without a hiccup, Jimmy.

turbo
Gold Member
:bugeye: *passes out*

I hope the procedure goes without a hiccup, Jimmy.
It's probably no more painful than a rapid tear involved in Brazilian bikini-wax. Though gender-specific issues limit my expertise.

I've had two kidney stones and when it goes through that ureter, boy is it painful. I don't know how someone could go through that without some kind of painkillers. It keeps getting worse and worse. I think you'd eventually black out. I don't know why there's so many nerves in that little tube.
However, I didn't even feel them come out, so going through the urethra wasn't a problem. I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?

Evo
Mentor
I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?
It's a one way street from the kidneys out.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've had two kidney stones and when it goes through that ureter, boy is it painful. I don't know how someone could go through that without some kind of painkillers. It keeps getting worse and worse. I think you'd eventually black out. I don't know why there's so many nerves in that little tube.
However, I didn't even feel them come out, so going through the urethra wasn't a problem. I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?

I wonder if it's possible that the stones hang out in the bladder a while, and get larger while they're there?

Borek
Mentor
I wonder if it's possible that the stones hang out in the bladder a while, and get larger while they're there?

Should be easy to check jumping up and down - if they rattle, they are there.

Few years ago I was told I have stones, and I was given some fancy medication that makes you pee blue.

Last edited:
Xnn
Have you tried taking CoQ10?

It won't work on current stones, but should help prevent future ones.

I didn't get the string. Instead, I went to the Doctor's office today and he went in and fished out the stent. I haven't been to work since Tuesday when he put it in. I've been pretty much in a drug induced stupor ever since. The stent is a tube that goes all the way from the kidney to the bladder. I think that when he pulled the stent he disturbed the stones in the kidney. Anyway now another stone is coming down and killing me so it's back to the drugs. I don't doubt I'll get fired over this.

Evo
Mentor
I didn't get the string. Instead, I went to the Doctor's office today and he went in and fished out the stent. I haven't been to work since Tuesday when he put it in. I've been pretty much in a drug induced stupor ever since. The stent is a tube that goes all the way from the kidney to the bladder. I think that when he pulled the stent he disturbed the stones in the kidney. Anyway now another stone is coming down and killing me so it's back to the drugs. I don't doubt I'll get fired over this.
If you have gall stones, they will just blow them all up with a laser because leaving them in there can damage the gall bladder. Is there a reason that they leave the kidney stones intact?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

:frown: Ouch, dang! So sorry to hear of all this, it sounds really horrible.

Borek
Mentor
Poor Jimmy. I hope you will get better soon. When I read your serious posts I feel uneasy.

If you have gall stones, they will just blow them all up with a laser because leaving them in there can damage the gall bladder. Is there a reason that they leave the kidney stones intact?
I had a stone removed that way and I might have these removed the same way. I've had stones broken up by ultrasound and laser, some passed on their own and some had to be pulled out. The laser treatment for stones in the kidney requires cutting a hole in the back, so it's considered a last resort. The ultrasound treatment is not considered when there is too much stone matter since the mass of fragments will clog the tube. They can't pull them from the kidney and mine won't pass on their own. I have an appointment in three months to discuss this matter with the urologist and we will decide what to do. Up til now I have been content to let the stones be, but a couple of them have grown to dangerous size and so I may submit to the laser treatment. If he recommends laser treatment and he can remove all of the stones along with the large ones in a single operation, then I will almost certainly go for it. Unfortunately, I have a half dozen stones in each kidney. Well, 5 on the left side now and one more in the ureter.

Evo
Mentor
I had a stone removed that way and I might have these removed the same way. I've had stones broken up by ultrasound and laser, some passed on their own and some had to be pulled out. The laser treatment for stones in the kidney requires cutting a hole in the back, so it's considered a last resort. The ultrasound treatment is not considered when there is too much stone matter since the mass of fragments will clog the tube. They can't pull them from the kidney and mine won't pass on their own. I have an appointment in three months to discuss this matter with the urologist and we will decide what to do. Up til now I have been content to let the stones be, but a couple of them have grown to dangerous size and so I may submit to the laser treatment. If he recommends laser treatment and he can remove all of the stones along with the large ones in a single operation, then I will almost certainly go for it. Unfortunately, I have a half dozen stones in each kidney. Well, 5 on the left side now and one more in the ureter.
When this happened to my cat, they *cured* him by giving him a sex change operation. Of course he was completely blocked, and the vet screwed up. Just saying you've got options.

On the serious side, it sounds like you're going through hell and I am really sorry to hear it. I do hope that they can find some way of getting this cleared up.

Last edited:
Just saying you've got options.
I've been considering it since I heard someone say women suffer less than men. Actually, I had never heard that before. What I did hear was that kidney stone pain is worse than birth pain. I wouldn't know, but my mother passed a stone while she was in the hospital having given birth to me. She said that the stone was worse. On occasion I have worried that I would pass a stone while senile and not be able to tell anyone. Well, when my mother died, she wasn't senile, but she was passing a stone.

turbo
Gold Member
My former foreman's wife had a stone ultrasonically fragmented. She already had two children (both in HS by that time), and was screaming in pain when the stone passed to the bladder. My foreman was ready to assault the attending physician because his wife was not getting pain-killers strong enough to keep her out of pain. According to her, giving birth was not even close to passing stones.

Evo
Mentor
Which type of stone are you forming jimmy? I just read up on them for the last 5 minutes, so I am an expert now.

Which type of stone are you forming jimmy? I just read up on them for the last 5 minutes, so I am an expert now.
I have a long and illustrious history of kidney stones.
The first stone I passed was probably when I first had sex. I didn't know it was a stone at the time, I thought that my ball had turned upside down. Anyway she wanted me to finish up what I had started and I just wanted to roll over and die.
The second stone occured just after I had a bout of hepatitis. I told the doctor that I had a relapse because my urine was brown again. He said that it was blood. He cut me and took out a stone made of uric acid. He said I should take alipurinol (sp?) and I did for a while, but when I moved to Japan I stopped.
I passed a few sporadic stones after that. They were painful, but I didn't treat them and they all passed.
When I got back to the states, I had one that got stuck in my ureter and ballooned it out. That one was made of calcium. My urologist put me through a bunch of tests including a 24 hour urine test, but he said the results were inconclusive. He couldn't say what was causing the stones nor could he recommend any treatment, dietary or otherwise.
After that I had couple of stones removed by ultrasound lithotripsy. then I started passing stones at the rate of about 2 a year and not seeing the urologist since they all passed without discomfort. I hated all the treatments and since there was no pain, I figured there was no problem. During those years a huge stone was growing in my kidney reaching to an inch in diameter. That was removed by laser lithotripsy through a hole in my back.
Since then I have had an x-ray and ultrasound (not lithotripsy, just a picture to see if the stone was a boy or a girl) every year. My doctor looks at the stones, tells me there's a few more than last year, they're growing and do I want to do anything about it? I say no, he says ok, and so another year goes by.
Now he says there are too many stones in there to leave alone and some are too large for ultrasound lithotripsy and I should have them treated. He didn't say so, but I know he means laser lithotripsy. Another hole in the back, perhaps two. He also said that he wants to repeat the tests to find out why I produce so many stones. His facial expression was like mine when there's a problem I want to solve and can't move on until I do. That's where matters stand now.
I am passing a stone as I write this. I was in considerable pain an hour ago, but I took my pain killer and either the stone has settled into a comfortable spot, or the pain killer kicked in, I don't know which. If I need more pain killer then I won't be able to work tomorrow.

Evo
Mentor
I have a long and illustrious history of kidney stones.
The first stone I passed was probably when I first had sex. I didn't know it was a stone at the time, I thought that my ball had turned upside down. Anyway she wanted me to finish up what I had started and I just wanted to roll over and die.
The second stone occured just after I had a bout of hepatitis. I told the doctor that I had a relapse because my urine was brown again. He said that it was blood. He cut me and took out a stone made of uric acid. He said I should take alipurinol (sp?) and I did for a while, but when I moved to Japan I stopped.
I passed a few sporadic stones after that. They were painful, but I didn't treat them and they all passed.
When I got back to the states, I had one that got stuck in my ureter and ballooned it out. That one was made of calcium. My urologist put me through a bunch of tests including a 24 hour urine test, but he said the results were inconclusive. He couldn't say what was causing the stones nor could he recommend any treatment, dietary or otherwise.
After that I had couple of stones removed by ultrasound lithotripsy. then I started passing stones at the rate of about 2 a year and not seeing the urologist since they all passed without discomfort. I hated all the treatments and since there was no pain, I figured there was no problem. During those years a huge stone was growing in my kidney reaching to an inch in diameter. That was removed by laser lithotripsy through a hole in my back.
Since then I have had an x-ray and ultrasound (not lithotripsy, just a picture to see if the stone was a boy or a girl) every year. My doctor looks at the stones, tells me there's a few more than last year, they're growing and do I want to do anything about it? I say no, he says ok, and so another year goes by.
Now he says there are too many stones in there to leave alone and some are too large for ultrasound lithotripsy and I should have them treated. He didn't say so, but I know he means laser lithotripsy. Another hole in the back, perhaps two. He also said that he wants to repeat the tests to find out why I produce so many stones. His facial expression was like mine when there's a problem I want to solve and can't move on until I do. That's where matters stand now.
I am passing a stone as I write this. I was in considerable pain an hour ago, but I took my pain killer and either the stone has settled into a comfortable spot, or the pain killer kicked in, I don't know which. If I need more pain killer then I won't be able to work tomorrow.
OY!!!

Geeze, you poor thing. Are you able to sleep enough? When I started having recurring problems that caused me to be calling in every couple of days, my boss told me to go out on disability, he said it would be easier on him if he knew I wasn't coming in and he could assign people to handle my clients, plus short term disability is at 100% of pay. I know how hard it is to be ill and keep dragging yourself in on days when you can barely function.

I hope you and your doctor find something to help soon.

Tsu
Gold Member
Laser is not usually used for gall stones, (less than 15% are candidates for gall stone lithotripsy. This site tell tells the most common tx for gall stones.
http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/digestivesystem/dige3507.html

Laser is usually the option of choice for kidney stones. No cutting into the skin is necessary as the scope goes up the urethra into the bladder and up the selected ureter and then blasted with the laser beam to break it up. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/lithotripsy.cfm is becoming a very infrequently treatment for renal calc.