Kids with Kidney Stones: A Growing Concern?

• Medical
  • Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids stones
In summary, a 24-year-old friend was recently told by a doctor that he may have kidney stones and is researching the topic online. Stones can form in children as young as 5 or 6, and high levels of uric acid may be a risk factor. Too much salt in a person's diet can also promote kidney stones.
rhody said:
Monique,

The episode before my last one, this one on the opposite of left side, an X-ray a few days later showed no stone, but the Dr. said it could have been a small sandlike particle that passed. From you description of it, this may have happened to you too. Do you remember what you were going through when it happened ? Were you dealing with a great deal of stress ? This was the case for me, it is interesting to compare notes to see if there are common threads.

Rhody...

Yes, stress could have been a factor but the main culprit would be dehydration. I was working long hours in a lab the week leading up to the attack. I'm stupid enough to not eat and drink until the experiment is finished, partially caused by the long distance between the lab and the office. That probably was a trigger.

Apparently it is typical to have the pain start in the early morning hours, does that happen to you as well?

Biology news on Phys.org
Monique said:
Yes, stress could have been a factor but the main culprit would be dehydration. I was working long hours in a lab the week leading up to the attack. I'm stupid enough to not eat and drink until the experiment is finished, partially caused by the long distance between the lab and the office. That probably was a trigger.

Apparently it is typical to have the pain start in the early morning hours, does that happen to you as well?
Yes, all three times with me, (something to look forward to when waking up, NOT...) because that's when your kidney's kick in the early am. Stress is a pretty amazing thing, isn't it.

One more example of what stress can do to you, not kidney stone related. My Mom passed in July of 2010, her twin brother 28 days later, upon receiving news of his passing, I got a dull pain in my chest about two hours after getting that phone call that did not go away for two weeks. Long story short it was not my heart (checked by medical tests) but stress hormones released by a part of my brain. In a little over two weeks it had passed, and went away on its own. Cause and effect, I rest my case.

Rhody...

Evo said:
It really burns me up that our solution to criminal abuse is to punish the good people.
I agree Evo, you must remember that addicts are desperate because of their addiction and will sacrifice anyone or anything to get drugs. The pharmacy's and super market's are taking measures to make sure it does not happen, it is sad and frustrating for the honest folk like yourself who could stand to benefit from them when really needed.

Rhody...

Removing the stent sucked, and the next half day was pretty uncomfortable, but now I feel pretty good. Everything is returning to normal. Even kicked it a bit at the gym today, rowing, elliptical (cardio) for an hour and about 85% of my maximum, much higher level than usual. Felt good after as well. The adrenaline rushes have stopped too, I am convinced they are somehow related to blood in the urine, or perhaps the effect of the stent, will never know for sure though. The stone was almost like a smooth crystal, when the Doc hit with the laser it blew into a million pieces, perhaps the smooth shape explains how it could have worked it's way down the ureter in the first place, only to grow in size, and why urine was able to pass smoothly (most of the time) by it. Like I said before, I will never take feeling good again for granted. The stone biopsy won't be back for a week, have to have another sonogram to make sure the kidney has returned to normal size. Once the Doc knows what the stone is made of then I can do sensible things to keep it from happening again. I just wish this was the case for Jimmy Snyder. I feel for you, really, I do.

Rhody...

My sister first visited the emergency room for her kidney stone at the age of 14. =/

Nano-Passion said:
My sister first visited the emergency room for her kidney stone at the age of 14. =/
Nano,

So sorry to hear that, has she since corrected what she needed to to prevent another one ? I can't imagine a teenager experiencing that kind of pain, it must have been terrifying for you and the whole family.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Nano,

So sorry to hear that, has she since corrected what she needed to to prevent another one ? I can't imagine a teenager experiencing that kind of pain, it must have been terrifying for you and the whole family.

Rhody...

She is doing what she can, especially because she is still young so she isn't completely strict [almost 16]. I recently found out that she's been getting some minor pain/uncomfort when she sleeps.. something that she has been hiding away from the family for reasons I'm not aware of.

I'm a little worried, I know a very nice friend and professor at my college that has had 40 kidney stones over the span of his life.

ShannonW said:
Reading these posts, I thought the same thing Rhody. Having a kidney stone as a kid has got to be one of the most traumatic experiences a child could experience. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I would hate it if my daughter had a kidney stone. I don't think I could bear it.
Shannon,

Quick correct diagnosis is important, and treatment for removing the stone (above 3cm is vital) I had a 9mm one that probably got stuck in the ureter as a small one, then grew over time, near the bladder (low), it was made of calcium oxalate (think rock candy for how it looks, bundled crystals), removing it using laser was a breeze, having a stent in for nine days, no fun but tolerable (everyone is different so anyone else may have more or less pain than I).

To add insult to injury two weeks later I got a mild case of the shingles, guess where ? Right in the area of the right kidney and ureter, coincidence ? Not to me. I got on an anti-viral right away and they virus spreading has stopped. But I still have pain in the area, the rash and underlying pain normally takes 3 to 5 weeks to clear, but if you get a bad case like my brother in law did, he is about 10 years younger than me, he has pain now and then from the underlying nerve damage. As you get older it gets worse, my doctor said , if you are over 50 and get shingles (rash) get to a Dr. within 48 hours to get on anti-virals. If you wait too long they do no good. I am glad I called my brother in law and not wait over the weekend. I called the Dr and got anti-virals that night.

Just a thought before I close Shannon, is there any test your Dr can perform to see if your child is predisposed to them ? Staying hydrated, 4 - 8 glasses of water a day is important to help prevent their formation. Good luck.

Rhody...

It is eleven days since my last post, the rash has waned and is disappearing, that is the good news, the bad news is that the underlying nerve pain hasn't really gone away, it is localized on my right side. The anti-virals appear to have done their job. I can't imagine what the residual nerve pain would be like if it were across my back or chest. That would be bad, it would interfere with sleeping, bathing, etc... I feel for people who have had to go through it. In three to six months I plan to get the booster vaccine that will hopefully prevent another outbreak. They are available from folks in the 50 - 62 year age bracket to the best of my knowledge, I may not be exact with the age group, so check with your Doctor.

Rhody...

rhody said:
It is eleven days since my last post, the rash has waned and is disappearing, that is the good news, the bad news is that the underlying nerve pain hasn't really gone away, it is localized on my right side. The anti-virals appear to have done their job. I can't imagine what the residual nerve pain would be like if it were across my back or chest. That would be bad, it would interfere with sleeping, bathing, etc... I feel for people who have had to go through it. In three to six months I plan to get the booster vaccine that will hopefully prevent another outbreak. They are available from folks in the 50 - 62 year age bracket to the best of my knowledge, I may not be exact with the age group, so check with your Doctor.

Rhody...
You poor thing. My bad luck is rubbing off on you.

Evo said:
You poor thing. My bad luck is rubbing off on you.
Nooo... say it isn't so...

Rhody...