Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, a fly got stuck in a curtain and had maggots coming out of it. The fly changed my day, I'm going to skip the nap.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I was about to make a nap when after 10 s of being layed down in my bed I hear "buzz buzz" over the window. I instantly saw a stuck in the curtain (I'm not sure of this word). I tried to scared it so that it goes away but it was really stuck so the only option was to kill it. I couldn't reach it directly so I decided to close the curtain over it. I did that and killed it. After a few seconds I saw motion over its corpse; maggots. They started to fall by groups of 10 or so (maybe some fell in my bedroom, wind didn't help me) as I couldn't get rid of the dead body. I don't have insecticide so I tried a glass cleaner (like windex), didn't do anything. I tried a "99.99%" bacteria killer, didn't do anything. I tried hot water, but that mostly removed some maggot packs. I manually killed about 10 maggots or so and removed the corpse of the mother with some pain. Anyway I'm not going to make a nap just under the window, I think I'll go out for a moment. :yuck: That fly changed my day (supposed to sleep about 2 hours and then go to gym +study), I'll skip the nap.
Edit: I just killed another maggot. I don't know where he came from.
I forgot to mention that soon after I killed the fly, a gian fly was flying around inside my bedroom, something very rare. That was funny.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that it depends upon the species, but flies are generally nowhere around when the eggs hatch. It is unlikely, therefore, that the one you saw was the "mother". Also, eggs are laid in, and the maggots consume, rotting flesh. I'd be searching the vicinity for a dead mouse if I were you.

fluidistic said:
Edit: I just killed another maggot. I don't know where he came from.
PM me and I'll explain it to you.

Danger said:
I suppose that it depends upon the species, but flies are generally nowhere around when the eggs hatch. It is unlikely, therefore, that the one you saw was the "mother". Also, eggs are laid in, and the maggots consume, rotting flesh. I'd be searching the vicinity for a dead mouse if I were you.

Not sure I wasn't clear enough. I killed a pregnant fly. The maggots left her dead body. I live in a 4th floor, I doubt there's a dead mouse around, but that's possible. I think the fly was looking for a place to put the maggots but she got stuck in my curtain.
Edit:
PM me and I'll explain it to you.
I'd rather not know :D

You want me, you filthy maggot, you TAKE ME!
Dirty Harry

that is seriously gross man

I am sorry for your situation

There is no such thing as a pregnant fly. Flies lay eggs.

Perhaps what you have seen were larvae of parasitoid wasp?

That makes sense. It's the only way that I can think of for larvae to get inside the body of a living fly.

Borek said:

Danger said:
That makes sense. It's the only way that I can think of for larvae to get inside the body of a living fly.

There are others of these videos. I am 100% sure I killed a fly and maggots poped out of it. Now I don't know whether they broke eggs or not. "My" fly had many more maggots than the video... horrible :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:

Blowflies drop larva - google viviparous.

Makes sense when you think about the need for speed when they come across a food source.

apeiron said:
Blowflies drop larva - google viviparous.

You learn all life and you die stupid. I know what viviparous means, I didn't know there are viviparous flies.

Borek said:
You learn all life and you die stupid. I know what viviparous means, I didn't know there are viviparous flies.

Just means you don't live in places where fly swats are in frequent use and you have had to learn the technique of killing without splatting. :tongue:

You should sleep with earplugs so they don't lay eggs in your ear canal.

Antiphon said:
You should sleep with earplugs so they don't lay eggs in your ear canal.
Then they would enter via my nose.

1. What is "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story" about?

"Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story" is a fictional short story that explores the frustrations and consequences of making a mistake while trying to solve a problem. It follows the main character, a scientist, as they attempt to kill a pesky fly but end up killing the wrong one.

2. Is "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story" based on a true story?

No, "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story" is a work of fiction. It is not based on any real-life events or individuals.

3. What inspired you to write "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story"?

The idea for "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story" came to me while I was reflecting on the challenges and frustrations that come with being a scientist. I wanted to explore the concept of making a mistake and the consequences that follow, even in the seemingly simple task of killing a fly.

4. Can you relate to the main character in "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story"?

As a scientist, I can definitely relate to the main character's determination and frustration in solving a problem. However, I do not condone or support their actions in the story.

5. What message do you hope readers take away from "Killing the Wrong Fly: A Frustrating Story"?

I hope readers will reflect on the consequences of their actions, even in the smallest of tasks. We must be mindful and careful in our decision-making, as even the smallest mistake can have unexpected and frustrating consequences.