Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killed the wrong fly

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I was about to make a nap when after 10 s of being layed down in my bed I hear "buzz buzz" over the window. I instantly saw a stuck in the curtain (I'm not sure of this word). I tried to scared it so that it goes away but it was really stuck so the only option was to kill it. I couldn't reach it directly so I decided to close the curtain over it. I did that and killed it. After a few seconds I saw motion over its corpse; maggots. They started to fall by groups of 10 or so (maybe some fell in my bedroom, wind didn't help me) as I couldn't get rid of the dead body. I don't have insecticide so I tried a glass cleaner (like windex), didn't do anything. I tried a "99.99%" bacteria killer, didn't do anything. I tried hot water, but that mostly removed some maggot packs. I manually killed about 10 maggots or so and removed the corpse of the mother with some pain. Anyway I'm not going to make a nap just under the window, I think I'll go out for a moment. :yuck: That fly changed my day (supposed to sleep about 2 hours and then go to gym +study), I'll skip the nap.
    Edit: I just killed another maggot. I don't know where he came from.
    I forgot to mention that soon after I killed the fly, a gian fly was flying around inside my bedroom, something very rare. That was funny.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I suppose that it depends upon the species, but flies are generally nowhere around when the eggs hatch. It is unlikely, therefore, that the one you saw was the "mother". Also, eggs are laid in, and the maggots consume, rotting flesh. I'd be searching the vicinity for a dead mouse if I were you.

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    PM me and I'll explain it to you.

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Not sure I wasn't clear enough. I killed a pregnant fly. The maggots left her dead body. I live in a 4th floor, I doubt there's a dead mouse around, but that's possible. I think the fly was looking for a place to put the maggots but she got stuck in my curtain.
    Edit:
    I'd rather not know :D

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5
    You want me, you filthy maggot, you TAKE ME!
    Dirty Harry

7. Mar 26, 2012 #6
    that is seriously gross man

I am sorry for your situation

8. Mar 26, 2012 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no such thing as a pregnant fly. Flies lay eggs.

Perhaps what you have seen were larvae of parasitoid wasp?

9. Mar 26, 2012 #8

Danger

Gold Member

That makes sense. It's the only way that I can think of for larvae to get inside the body of a living fly.

10. Mar 26, 2012 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

There are others of these videos. I am 100% sure I killed a fly and maggots poped out of it. Now I don't know whether they broke eggs or not. "My" fly had many more maggots than the video... horrible :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Mar 26, 2012 #10

apeiron

Gold Member

Blowflies drop larva - google viviparous.

Makes sense when you think about the need for speed when they come across a food source.

12. Mar 26, 2012 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You learn all life and you die stupid. I know what viviparous means, I didn't know there are viviparous flies.

13. Mar 26, 2012 #12

apeiron

Gold Member

Just means you don't live in places where fly swats are in frequent use and you have had to learn the technique of killing without splatting. :tongue:

14. Mar 26, 2012 #13
    You should sleep with earplugs so they don't lay eggs in your ear canal.

15. Mar 26, 2012 #14

fluidistic

Gold Member

Then they would enter via my nose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook