Killing Canker Sores: Tips to Get Rid of Them

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
In summary: Try some of the amino acid L-lysine, most drug stores carry it. My Father swears by coating the sore with sea salt, it stings a bit, but does seem to dry it out.I am a huge wuss, so rather than feel like my mouth is on fire, I buy Orajel from the drugstore. It's a numbing agent that at least gets rid of the pain. Be careful though - the stuff tastes HORRIBLE, so do not accidentally swallow it.Also, be careful in application of it,...it's easy to overdo it and make it worse.
Lancelot59
I have a pair right next to each other on the side of my lip where I bit it with both incisors. It's getting very hard to deal with it now.

I tried to burn it to death with salt water, but it seems to have grown after I drank some water. The damn thing absorbs all the water out of my mouth.

Does anyone know any methods of killing them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything that is particularly effective?

A good and cheap remedy is to mix drug-store hydrogen peroxide 50:50 with water and apply it with a cotton swab. My father loves fresh garden tomatoes, and he'll overload on them until he starts getting canker sores. Using the peroxide wash doesn't cure the sores, but it helps prevent infection so they will heal faster.

Sounds like a plan...except that it would probably taste nasty. I'll give it a try later.

turbo-1 said:
A good and cheap remedy is to mix drug-store hydrogen peroxide 50:50 with water and apply it with a cotton swab.

I do the same, except I don't dilute it. Burns a bit, but the sore seems to start healing within a day. I've had sores last for days, and when I do this its clears up quickly.

They have special oral meds for mouth sores, with the active ingredient being benzocaine. It works pretty well for a short while. Should be available at any drug store. Oil of cloves will also help, it should be available over the counter too.

go to the doctor. oral health is part of overall health. why would you let yourself to experience that much discomfort. GO TO THE DOCTOR and get it checked out. All the biting and ripping into the sores does expose it to infection. There is no reason not to go to the doctor.

It'll probably heal by the time I get in a few weeks from now.

dude, if you told your primary care physician your problem, they will see you immediately. how old are you? You seem young in terms of life experience. I do not mean it in a bad way, but doctors do not put you on hold for several weeks while you suffer.

I'm 19, and I guess I am a little short.

I mean it just takes a bit to get an appointment.

Lancelot59 said:
I'm 19, and I guess I am a little short.

I mean it just takes a bit to get an appointment.

Walk-in clinics?

Dealing with sores in the mouth normally aren't that serious though. I'd suggest just making sure it's clean and don't irritate it. However if it starts to hurt a lot for days at a time or it is 'large' then you definitely should go to see a doctor. There isn't really a lot of tissue in your mouth and sometimes these sores can go down to the bones which can be dangerous to your overall health.

the key is health insurance. Do you have health insurance? go to the doctor. i like the walk-in-clinic idea in case you can't get an appointment quickly.

OK dude, that's it from me. No more advice. if this thread keeps going, then it will cause you to start dwelling in your misery and i will not participate in this circular reasoning. Good luck and bye (I'm not trying to be mean but enough. its simple, you hurt you go to the doctor).

I live in Canada, and I do have insurance. It's not an issue.

I was looking for a way I could speed up the healing.

So I guess I'll just keep it as clean as I can.

magnusrobot12 said:
the key is health insurance. Do you have health insurance? go to the doctor. i like the walk-in-clinic idea in case you can't get an appointment quickly.

OK dude, that's it from me. No more advice. if this thread keeps going, then it will cause you to start dwelling in your misery and i will not participate in this circular reasoning. Good luck and bye (I'm not trying to be mean but enough. its simple, you hurt you go to the doctor).

that would be inconvenient, i hurt all the time

Try some of the amino acid L-lysine, most drug stores carry it. My Father swears by coating the sore with sea salt, it stings a bit, but does seem to dry it out.

I am a huge wuss, so rather than feel like my mouth is on fire, I buy Orajel from the drugstore. It's a numbing agent that at least gets rid of the pain. Be careful though - the stuff tastes HORRIBLE, so do not accidentally swallow it. Also, be careful in application of it, because it DOES work - don't end up numbing your whole mouth or tongue accidentally :)

I HATE Canker sores! I have 2 right now where i bit my lip...(Pretty much what happened to the OP here). Also, i get1-2 Cold Sores a year usually, and i guess the Canker sore on the upper part of my bottom lip did something to cause a Cold sore to pop up pretty much on top of it...sucks so bad. I have some meds though, hopefully it will make it much better.

I seem to have canker sores in my mouth more often than i dont. =(

Drakkith said:
I HATE Canker sores! I have 2 right now where i bit my lip...(Pretty much what happened to the OP here). Also, i get1-2 Cold Sores a year usually, and i guess the Canker sore on the upper part of my bottom lip did something to cause a Cold sore to pop up pretty much on top of it...sucks so bad. I have some meds though, hopefully it will make it much better.

I seem to have canker sores in my mouth more often than i dont. =(
I rarely get canker sores, but when I feel one starting, I put neosporin on it and it disappears without fully forming. Of course neosporin is not for use inside your mouth, but just saying...

Last edited:
Evo said:
I rarely get canker sores, but when i feel one starting, I put neosporin on it and it disappears without fully forming. od course neospaorin is not for use inside your mouth, but just saying...

Interesting... i'll have to try it someday.

I've actually used Carmex on an in-mouth cut before. It claims to be for cold sores, and its really just fancy chapstick, but the thick wax consistency will keep it in one place for a while. The cooling feels helps with the discomfort, and it'll keep water out. Reapply every hour or so.

Haven't tried it with canker sores, but I bit the inside of my lip and just used Carmex from the start. Gone in a day.

Is it medicine? No way. It might even be bad for you for all I know. Besure to consult a physician before starting Carmex. Side effects include nausea, vomitting, dizziness, upset stomach, canker sores, and meningitis. Tell your doctor if you are taking an MAOI inhibitor. People with teeth should not use Carmex because of a potentially deadly side effect.

FlexGunship said:
I've actually used Carmex on an in-mouth cut before. It claims to be for cold sores, and its really just fancy chapstick, but the thick wax consistency will keep it in one place for a while. The cooling feels helps with the discomfort, and it'll keep water out. Reapply every hour or so.

Haven't tried it with canker sores, but I bit the inside of my lip and just used Carmex from the start. Gone in a day.

Is it medicine? No way. It might even be bad for you for all I know. Besure to consult a physician before starting Carmex. Side effects include nausea, vomitting, dizziness, upset stomach, canker sores, and meningitis. Tell your doctor if you are taking an MAOI inhibitor. People with teeth should not use Carmex because of a potentially deadly side effect.
:rofl:

FlexGunship said:

Warning: Side effects include uncontrollably flatulence, severe irritation of the little toe, and possible sudden irreversible death.

I was taught to put alum on cankers and to leave it as long as you can, then spit it out and rinse, seemed to work for me. The cankers usually went away within a day after that, I could never keep it on for much more than a minute or two though, the waterworks usually started immediately upon application and before to long there was more saliva than I could handle.

tracydimarco said:
I am a huge wuss, so rather than feel like my mouth is on fire, I buy Orajel from the drugstore. It's a numbing agent that at least gets rid of the pain. Be careful though - the stuff tastes HORRIBLE, so do not accidentally swallow it. Also, be careful in application of it, because it DOES work - don't end up numbing your whole mouth or tongue accidentally :)

Really? I love the taste of that stuff. I use it very rarely, usually for tongue abrasions, because the main ingredient is cocaine. I don't want to take the chance of becoming addicted.
For lesser situations, I have Abreva.

turbo-1 said:
A good and cheap remedy is to mix drug-store hydrogen peroxide 50:50 with water and apply it with a cotton swab.

Using the peroxide wash doesn't cure the sores, but it helps prevent infection so they will heal faster.

Same here, although I also add 1 tbsp of salt per pint of water. This mixture will cause steel wool to rust in a few seconds, but thirty years of doing it haven't affected my amalgam fillings, yet.

If they were really a problem, I'd ask my dentist.

1. What are canker sores?

Canker sores, also known as aphthous ulcers, are small painful sores that develop on the inside of the mouth, on the gums, or on the tongue. They are not contagious and can range in size from a small dot to a larger, more painful sore.

2. What causes canker sores?

The exact cause of canker sores is unknown, but they are often triggered by factors such as stress, hormonal changes, injury to the mouth, certain foods, and a weakened immune system. They can also be a symptom of an underlying health condition.

3. How can I treat canker sores?

Canker sores usually heal on their own within 1-2 weeks, but there are some steps you can take to help alleviate the pain and promote healing. These include using over-the-counter pain relievers, applying topical numbing agents, avoiding spicy or acidic foods, and using a soft toothbrush to brush your teeth.

4. Are there any natural remedies for canker sores?

Yes, there are a few natural remedies that may help with canker sores. These include rinsing with salt water, applying aloe vera gel, using a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide, and consuming foods high in vitamin C and zinc. However, it is always best to consult with a doctor before trying any natural remedies.

5. When should I see a doctor for my canker sores?

If your canker sores are large, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms such as fever or difficulty swallowing, it is important to see a doctor. You should also seek medical attention if you develop canker sores frequently or if they do not heal within 2 weeks.