Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killing email zombie

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It looks like my desktop was infected with a virus due to a fault in Norton* that caused it to not update its virus definitions.

The virus turned the system into a zombie, sending out spam. Now many ISPs are identifying my IP as a source of spam and are refusing all email from me.

Norton found and purged a virus called backdoor.formador, so I think all that is behind me now, but I still have 4000+ emails that are trying to get sent from somewhere. (Norton continues to pop up a warning message for every one of these 4000+ emails, that's how I know they're still there).

See attached screengrab. The taskbar is showing each email that is waiting to be processed. So far there are only 8 or 10, but it will run through 4000+ of them.

They are not in Outlook; I don't know where these 4000 emails are sitting. Somewhere invisible. How can I purge these emails?

Or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing?

* Yeah yeah ... "Norton? Pah. I don't use that piece of junk". Got it out of your system? OK, now move on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dave,

What OS are you using (XP, 2000, ...)? I did a quick Google search and one thing that I noticed from the technical details on one was that the computer could be reinfected if you don't disable the System Restore feature before removal http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-121018-1953-99&tabid=3".

I would also double-check that the registry entry noted in the removal instructions has actually been removed.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"[TROJAN FILE NAME]" = "%System%\[TROJAN FILE NAME].exe"

Also, if you don't have a firewall on your computer, you should install one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook