1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killing Fields on R^n

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A linear vector field on R^n, defined by a matrix A, is a Killing field if and only if A is antisymmetric.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took R^2. Let A be the following matrix:
    0 -10
    10 0

A is antisymmetric. However, how in the heck is A a Killing field? For example, let
    v = (1, 10), then Av = (-100, 10)
    u = (2, 3), then Au = (-30, 20)
    and <u, v> = 32 while <Au, Av> = 3200, so the dot product after we apply A is a multiple of the original dot product by the determinant of A (in this case it's 100).

What exactly am I misreading? The only restriction on A is that it is antisymmetric. A Killing field is a vector field that preserves the metric, i.e. in particular it will preserve the dot products of vectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I finally figured out what you mean here. On R^2, they are referring to a vector field of the form F(x*i+y*j)=(ax+by)*i+(cx+dy)*j, where i and j are the usual basis for R^2. Using the usual metric, what do Killing's equations look like? The covariant derivatives are just the ordinary partial derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?