Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killing flies

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What is the best way to get rid of pesky flies, spray cans are a waste of money as as soon as you open a window or door the stuff is dispersed, and those sticky things are so unsightly.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2
    get a cat or dog. since getting a cat and dog I have ZERO bug problems, they are both expert fly catchers and will eat any bug they come across :)

if you have fruit fly problems here is what you do. first take out all trash. clean up and put away all dishes. clean out the sink and counters. then place a piece of fruit, perferably a banana peel in the sink. turn the lights out and wait 15-20min. then sneak up on them while holding a bottle of kitchen cleaner. surprise attack them with the cleaner. repeat as neccessary with those who escape. - I had a major fruit fly problem last week and that is how I defeated them in an afternoon!

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they're houseflies, you can catch them by hand. Throw them against the wall as hard as you can. It'll knock them unconcious, but won't kill them. Put them in a plastic vial or jar. When you've accumulated around a dozen, stick them in the freezer. Again, this won't kill them, but they'll be unconcious when you remove them from the freezer the next day.

Build yourself an airplane out of very thing strips of balsa and Saran wrap. Once the airplane is complete, remove the unconcious flies from the freezer and supergule them to the wings of the airplane.

Once the flies regain conciousness, you'll have a flying model airplane powered by a 12 houseflypower engine. The plane will fly very slow (so you need a lot of wing) and it's very hard to control the flight. The flies tend to start and stop on their own and it's very hard to train them to synchronize their efforts.

Still, it's a very cool plane for as long as the flies live. You can just replace them with new flies once they die, so the maintenance is pretty low.

So far, I've yet to see any objections from PETA, so I think it's an ethical use of animals in the pursuit of education and entertainment.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Aug 27, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Aug 27, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have common garden spider in the kitchen.

9. Aug 27, 2008 #8
    Swat them with a pillow (larger surface area = higher probability of swatting them). I always do that and they end up crashing into the wall (It actually makes a sound when their bodies hit the wall). It knocks them out cold. Pick them up with a tissue and then release them outside (or just flush them down the toilet).

10. Aug 27, 2008 #9
    Go and move to the 14th floor of a appartment building. That's too high for the bugs. You can open windows at night with the lights on, no insects whatsoever.

11. Aug 27, 2008 #10
    Coke/Pepsi can kill can them.
    Just let them drink some.

I heard on yahoo answers that it kills rats (I will be killing the rat in my house tonight :devil:).

12. Aug 27, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

13. Aug 27, 2008 #12

russ_watters

Well, I think you just suggested a solution: seal every orifice of your house air tight (I suggest covering the windows and doors with plastic) and hit about a dozen cans of RAID with an axe. That'll fill your house up nicely and with limited waste from dispersion. I guarantee this will be highly effective at killing flies.

14. Aug 27, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you kidding?! My cat is a great flycatcher too, but I'm not sure it's an improvement being woken up in the middle of the night by her running across me, jumping at the walls, bounding off the furniture, and generally making quite a ruckus as she chases a fly. I preferred it when all I heard was "buzz buzz buzz" near the ceiling or window screen. :rolleyes:

I prefer her as a spider catcher...they move more slowly and she can usually get them in a single pounce.

I don't really worry a lot about flies. They just seem like a natural part of summer to me, and I've accepted that as soon as you think you've killed them all, another sneaks in the door with you. So, as long as they aren't buzzing my head or trying to bite me, I can pretty well ignore them. The weather is turning colder and they'll die off soon.

15. Aug 27, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*cough* *cough* *cough* And all the occupants too! :bugeye:

16. Aug 27, 2008 #15

Evo

My dog is a great fly catcher, the cat is more then cricket and larger bug killer. Although I usually only find dead bodies, so they are doing a pretty good job. I had a cat that would kill wasps. Watching her leap into the air after doing the cat chatter was incredible. Her accuracy was dead on. I was always afraid she'd get stung in the mouth, but she never had a problem.

17. Aug 27, 2008 #16

russ_watters

I didn't read anything about occupants in the specifications for the job.

18. Aug 27, 2008 #17
    hmm i don't think so, I was once on a 20th floor and the balcony had tons of flying insects and spiders

19. Aug 27, 2008 #18
    Don't kill them. Try to catch them and then let them out.

20. Aug 27, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Another strategy is to take meat scraps and put them up on the roof ...
    of the neighbor you don't like.

21. Aug 27, 2008 #20
    remind me to bring my own linens if I ever stay at your place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?