Killing flies

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
I found a way to kill them by accident, i left a cup with some of my whiskey sauce on the kitchen counter, this morning there were 6 dead flies in it.
Well, at least they died happy.

FrancisZ

I found a way to kill them by accident, i left a cup with some of my whiskey sauce on the kitchen counter, this morning there were 6 dead flies in it.
This so reminds me of that old Joe Cartoon Superflies recurring bit. Funny but gross. You can see it on Youtube at your own discretion.

This one is fairly benign; cute even...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDXpd5g3Clc

VA living museum : I had never imagined flies bigger than my thumb. It's really horrible.

I didn't read anything about occupants in the specifications for the job.
Russ, you got my vote for the funniest. I laughed out loud at that one.

I notice they end up by the windows or doors. I usually just wait for them to go towards an exit and then open it and sort of shoo them out. This way I don't have to worry about splatter mist of fly guts all over the place.

Has anyone tried vacuum cleaner to kill flies/rats/anything :confused:

I've never tried a vacuum but I've gone the other direction. I had a pump bb gun and I would pump it up and not load it. if you get close and shoot the bugs the air would blow them up.
Edit: Blow them up like explode, not blow them up like a balloon.

Evo

Mentor
It won't kill them, it will just suck them inside the vacuum cleaner. I guess if you leave them in there long enough they will die. If you vacuum up bugs, then you have a bag/cannister full of bugs, and you should throw it out before they crawl out.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the vacuum would cause a lot more damage than a flyswatter or shoe or magazine when you swat them. Besides, it's kind of hard to aim well with the vacuum while swinging it at them. :uhh:

Evo

Mentor
I think the vacuum would cause a lot more damage than a flyswatter or shoe or magazine when you swat them. Besides, it's kind of hard to aim well with the vacuum while swinging it at them. :uhh:
:rofl:

I actually did try to kill a cricket once by trying to smush it with the vacuum. :redface: It didn't work.

wolram

Gold Member
I found an easy way to kill the little bs, i dropped a beef stock cube on the floor, and thought i better wash it before use, but washing made it all gooey, so i put it in one of those tin foil trays one gets a take away in, within seconds there were two flies sucking on the stock cube, so i snuck up on them with a piece of cling film and sealed them in, but then how to kill them?
i ran the hot tap and filled a bowel with very hot water and put the tin foil tray in it, it floated of course but the flies soon died.
The best thing is this trap is reusable.

Evo

Mentor
When I was little I would make tiny "cakes' of flour and sugar in tiny tinfoil pans and leave them in the sun to "bake". When I would return, there would be dozens of dead flies stuck in it.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i ran the hot tap and filled a bowel with very hot water and put the tin foil tray in it, it floated of course but the flies soon died.
The best thing is this trap is reusable.
:surprised This part sounds pretty scary.

Evo

Mentor
I'm wondering whose bowel it was.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So it was really an elbow? :confused:

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just spotted a rat in my room!! :cry: It living in our house for more than 3/4 months now. We cleaned all our downstairs hoping that it would die but it found its way to my messy room (It disappeared for a month after that).

I sealed my room and moved to another room door hoping that rat wouldn't find any way out of it while I am planning to kill it somehow :devil:. I think it's trapped now. All I need is vacuum cleaner, some books, shoes etc.

It would have been disaster if it had moved to another room which is all messed up with my stuff I will be taking to the university :biggrin:.

Just spotted a rat in my room!! :cry: It living in our house for more than 3/4 months now. We cleaned all our downstairs hoping that it would die but it found its way to my messy room (It disappeared for a month after that).

I sealed my room and moved to another room door hoping that rat wouldn't find any way out of it while I am planning to kill it somehow :devil:. I think it's trapped now. All I need is vacuum cleaner, some books, shoes etc.

It would have been disaster if it had moved to another room which is all messed up with my stuff I will be taking to the university :biggrin:.
You don't use mousetraps