When is the ethical line crossed in making life or death decisions?

• Thread starter Lyuokdea
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation poses several philosophical questions about the justification for killing in different scenarios. The presence of a hypothetical button that could end lives adds a level of complexity to the discussion. The conversation also raises concerns about the potential consequences and responsibility of making such life and death decisions. Ultimately, the question of when it is justifiable to kill another person cannot be easily answered and depends on individual morals and perspectives.
Lyuokdea
Here are a couple questions of philosophy to let you think about.

For all of these questions assume that you have a button ending the lives of the people you are asked to end the lives of in the various questions, although this is not real world, you could easily substitute any real world weapon into the picture, the button idea, just gets rid of the "What if you miss" or the "Long term effects of a nuclear weapon" type questions.

1. Let's say a guy is pointing a gun at another guy and is going to shoot the weapon, do you push the button to kill the "criminal" and save the "victim."

2. Two guys are pointing their guns at a victim, do you push the button to kill them both or save two lives and let the victim die.

3. A million guys are pointing guns at a victim, do you kill them all to save one who appears innocent?

In the end my question is, when does the numbers game balance out the relative guilt of the offenders, who has the right to survive in these circumstances?

Physics news on Phys.org
An even better question would be if you were the innocent bystander in a convienence store and some jerk came in with a shotgun to rob the place and considererd killing you a bonus, would you wish someone to push the button? I sure would, even if there were a million of them, that's a million less cold blooded killers in the world. In real life this scenerio is of course impossible, we can never know for sure if this is truly a criminal and truly a victim and as to rights to survive they both have a right to survive but when one person decides to kill another person by law they have forfeit their rights to freedom in a civilized world because we don't want a world full of joy killers and if in the event it is possible to prevent the certain death of the absolute victim only by means of killing the absolute murderer then I hope someone pushes the button for me.

Really, you can never know. first off, you have to determine what your morals are, and then apply them to both the shooter and the shootie. of course by then, it is likely that the person with the gun pointed at him would be dead.

the question of "Is killing justifiable under any circumstances?" cannot really be answered.

You would have to determine the actual innocence of the person being targeted, and the position of the person holding the gun. If the target is a known murderer, and the person holding the gun is a cop, it gets tricky, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Zero
You would have to determine the actual innocence of the person being targeted, and the position of the person holding the gun.
My thoughhts exactly. You need to restate the question, so that there is no ambiguity. If you intended to have the ambiguity, then my answer would be no, i would not press the button on any of them, because I have no grounds to judge.

If I knew for instance though, that the person holding the gun was going to kill the other person just for fun/for no good reason, then yes, i would press the button in all three instances.

Why woul di do otherwise in both instances? I don't know anyone involved, I can't judge, and I am only interested in the stability of my society, and allowing people to run around killing people without good reason is detrimental to the stability of any society.

The real question, I guess, is whether we are dumb enough to interfere in life and death with mo idea of the situation or the consequences.

Originally posted by Zero
The real question, I guess, is whether we are dumb enough to interfere in life and death with mo idea of the situation or the consequences.
Another example of why it is important to know the objective, before you jump in with your subjective take.

Originally posted by Another God
Another example of why it is important to know the objective, before you jump in with your subjective take.

Exactly my point.

If you had such a button you are ready to push, couldn't there be someone else ready to push yours? Why should you be the one who makes the final decision?

What is the concept of "killing one to save another"?

The concept of "killing one to save another" refers to the ethical dilemma of sacrificing the life of one individual in order to save the lives of others.

What are some real-life scenarios where this concept may apply?

This concept can apply in various situations, such as in war where soldiers may have to sacrifice their lives to save their fellow troops, or in medical emergencies where a doctor may have to choose to save one patient over another due to limited resources.

Is "killing one to save another" morally justifiable?

This is a highly debated topic and opinions may vary. Some argue that sacrificing one life for the greater good is morally justifiable, while others believe that every life is valuable and should not be sacrificed for others.

How do ethical theories view the concept of "killing one to save another"?

Ethical theories such as utilitarianism may support the idea of sacrificing one life for the greater good, while deontological theories may view it as morally wrong to intentionally harm one individual, even if it means saving others.

What are some alternatives to "killing one to save another"?

Some alternatives to this concept include finding a solution that does not involve taking a life, prioritizing resources to save as many lives as possible, or seeking consent from all individuals involved before making a decision.